We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

Today's contemplations...

Never having been to Marseilles or very nearby (the closest I've been is either Arles, or St. Tropez...) I am trying to figure out how to best visit les Calanques.

Assuming I fly into Marseilles and want to see some of them - how easy/hard are they to access? Can you drive right up and a short walk takes you to a nice area for spreading out a beach towel and a picnic basket... or is it a long hike to get to them... or is the best method to visit by boat (and where does one pick up a boat for a day's tour).

Are they completely unspoiled - i.e. just you and your hiking gear/beach towel, or, are there outposts for a drink a la the Buza Bar found in Dubrovnik?

Not having been to Marseilles, would you recommend staying two nights in Marseilles, making this a trip for the "day in between" and otherwise fit in the rest of the two nights sightseeing in Marseilles?

Any thoughts appreciated. This would most likely be the landing point for a trip that ends up in Barcelona (and day trips therefrom), or, the very last visit on a trip that starts in Barcelona and flies home from Marseille.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
2CV Marseille Tour
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
MassiliaCar
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Icard Maritime
Sightseeing Tours
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

What time of the year will you be in Marseilles? While there are trails to take by foot to see the calanques, some are closed in the summer because of fire danger--and it is a fairly long hike anyway. Your best plan would be to take a boat tour.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

Hello

Most likely some week in September if I had to guess although I haven't reserved anything. It does sound like a boat tour might be the best - very scenic.

Thank you for the information.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

You can walk to les calanques from Luminy campus. There is a large parking lot right before the track to les calanques. Follow "école d'architecture" signs.

You can get there either by car or with bus line 21. It is the final bus stop on the route. Count 45 minutes to 1hr walk, and a steep, slippery, and somehow dangerous descent to calanque de Sugiton.

A good report of the hike can be found here:

nomadtravellers.com/backpacking/99-hiking/16…

4. Re: Visiting les Calanques from Marseilles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 02, 2015