We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille - C'est merveilleux

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Marseille - C'est merveilleux

We are an "older" couple who have just spent 8 weeks in Marseille and had a wonderful time. I thought I would start a new "thread" as my comments are quite the opposite to those recently made by another Australian contributor.

In case you are thinking that we must be very rich to afford accommodation for so long and/or why we stayed in the same place for so long. The answer to both is that we did a home exchange with an apartment in the Prado beach area. Not only did we enjoy visiting the city, but we also loved trying to "live like a local" - catching the bus, using the metro, shopping at the supermarket and markets, walking in the park and along the beach area, etc.

A few days after we arrived we did a "walk" with Christian from Marseille/Provence Greeters. This was a wonderful introduction to the city. It took about 3 hours and he showed us many interesting places around the Panier and the Vieux Port area, along with the history and other information. I absolutely recommend this excellent service, especially for those who may be here for a few days or longer.

We had a car so we did many day trips to other towns and villages and saw some amazing places and things - history, lovely views, interesting architecture, markets, wineries, etc. I could go on and on. But we also spent many, many days simply catching the bus into the city to visit the places of interest (there certainly are many of these) or to just wander around the Canebiere and Vieux Port area. We loved to share a moules et frites with a pitcher of rose and "people watch".

We were not robbed, mugged or ever felt threatened in any way. We also found the local people to be very polite, helpful and very patient with our very poor attempt at their language.

Thank you to all those on TA who gave us advice - both leading up to and during our visit - and thank you Marseille for giving us such a wonderful time. We hope to return some day.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille - C'est merveilleux

Sounds like a great trip. I have followed some of your threads. We are off to France next year for ten weeks. And yes, we are not rich. We are staying two weeks in four places and a week each in two . Our accommodation is around 300 euro per week. Once we get there , we effectively ' live there '. Visit the markets, supermarket. It can be a lot more affordable than people realise. Take our time, enjoy just being there, not just ticking boxes.

Edited: 4:13 am, November 09, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille - C'est merveilleux

So glad to have a wonderful account of a stay in Marseille, and not the inevitable post that starts with "I've read a lot of bad things about Marseille, is Marseille really safe?". It is a truly wonderful city.

You are VERY VERY RICH....with time!

More people with 8 to 10 weeks vacation would probably choose to stay in one location, or few locations and live like locals. Such time allows to visit places AND live like locals, it takes away the compelling urgency to cram a maximum of things to see in a very short time and traveling forward to not lose precious time going back on your steps. Most people on paid leave can only visit places....

Phirhon, take all the sites you will inevitably end up visiting and fit those into one or two weeks...crammed, right? Same boxes ticked... just luckily more space between the boxes.... ! That is a true luxury!

3. Re: Marseille - C'est merveilleux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 12, 2014