We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

Carlsbad, California
3 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

My husband, myself and our 14 yr old son have a layover from 11pm-6am in Marseille in December. I'm concerned about safety as the research I've done says it's not safe at night. So, does anyone know what other options we might have, or at least, where we can sleep? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

Nonsense...Marseille is perfectly safe.

You don't say where your "layover" is. But I will assume it is a the airport. Just stay at an airport hotel. This one is walking distance to the Terminal.

bestwestern-marseille-aeroport.com/content/…

Edited: 12:57 am, October 06, 2013
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

If at the airport, you time will be tight -- I agree that you should just check into one of the airport hotels (there are three or four) and get some sleep. If you are at the train station, it might be worth having a quick look round, though Marseille is not really a late-night city.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

And here we go again.....Why do people only read and believe only the posts that say Marseille isn't safe?

Much safer than any US city!

Edited: 8:53 am, October 06, 2013
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

Of course Marseille is safe in the centre of the city during day light hours.

However only last week there was a news report on television highlighting the police concern in Marseille at the increasing incidence of indiscriminate drive by shootings in the northern suburbs of the city. Certain of the suburbs are becomming no go areas as the local "youth" store rocks etc on the roofs of the tower blocks to throw down on the police.

Just passing on what was said on local French TV.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

Yes, les quartiers nords, where French people don't go unless they live there, so even less tourists, have always been less safe than the rest of the city, but its just like saying Paris is unsafe because of violence in the suburbs. I think it is fair to say that rare are the cities in the world that do no have a difficult neighborhood. So if "just stating the press" please put into context, if not it is just uselessly feeding the frenzy...

6. Re: What to do in Marseille at night for 7 hour layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 10, 2014