We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on itinerary?

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on itinerary?

We will be on a cruise stop in Marseilles in November and I have contacted a local guide about tours. Here is one she offered us--is this too much driving/rushing do you think?

8:30am Pick up at the ship

Drive to Lourmarin

9:45 Tour of the charming village of Lourmarin, considered to be among the most beautiful of France

10:30 Drive to Bonnieux

10:50 Panoramic view from the hilltop village of Bonnieux, on the whole Calavon valley

11:30 Drive to Roussillon with a photo stop at the roman bridge of Pont Julien

12:00 Visit the reddish village of Roussillon and lunch

02:30 Drive to Gordes

02:45 View on the most incredible hilltop village of Provence, and on the famous cistercian abbey of Sénanque

03:45 Drive back

05:00 Drop off

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on itinerary?

sj, you have a double post going here on the same subject.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on itinerary?

This is beginning to seem like too much time in the car.

What about Cassis and/or Le Castellet?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on itinerary?

Or maybe just go to one of the first 4 villages mentioned--maybe Gordes--for a day or half day?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on itinerary?

A trip to a bookstore is HIGHLY advised. Buy the Michelin Green Guide to Provence.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on itinerary?

It is actually not that bad. The ride to and from the port is 1 hour 15 minutes. Then the drive between the villages is relatively short.

The key word here is village. In each one you are spending an hour or so which can give you sufficient time to have a good feel for the place, obviously you will not be able to write a thesis on Lourmarin but that is not the point.. In your case after being in restricted space on a ship, I would definitely go for the maximum to see even if a bit of a whirlwind. What benefit would there be to spend all day in one village? or 5 hours?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on itinerary?

Ah ha ha LouGari! Spare me the thought of having to write a thesis on return.

We are staying in Marseille for two nights and have just one full day to look around and plan to mooch about the old port and take the wiki train to Notre Dame de la Garde. Are we nuts to be so pedestrian?

Jen

PS again apologies to the OP for pinching their question

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on itinerary?

No, not nuts. Above is a question of balance between seeing more or strolling more and I am sure they can adapt the pace as they go... and not feel rushed.

For Marseille, being a city, you can certainly spend a day strolling. The Vieux Port is rather quick, have a drink in a cafe to enjoy the scene. You will need a bit more than Notre Dame to fill your day. Museum Hopital de la Vieille Charite in the Panier neighborhood, Palais Longchamp, stroll up the Canebiere. The Marseille OT website has plenty of suggestions.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments on itinerary?

Ah thanks LouGari.

Your suggestions will be printed and stored on the itinerary.

Jen

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comments on itinerary?

Lunch "Chez Fonfon" in Vallon des Auffes (for a bouillabaisse)

And the OT website http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/ I was traveling and not too practical on my phone.

Very welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy Marseille!

10. Re: Comments on itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:36 am, September 15, 2014