We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

We are arriving in Marseille via cruise ship this summer and would like to rent a car to drive to Les Baux for the day. We have very limited time in Marseille as we arrive at 8:00am and depart at 5:00pm.

This is a large ship, so I am assuming we will be at Porte 4. We will be taking a taxi to the car rental facility and back to the ship, but I would like recommendations as to where is the best/easiest place to rent a car.

It looks like Saint-Charles is closer to the port via taxi, but I have heard to is a bit confusing to drive from there and that there may be more traffic in that direction. Since we are heading Northwest anyway, I wondered if the airport might be a better/ more efficient option, even though it is a longer taxi ride? How much is a taxi to the airport as opposed to Saint-Charles? If I pick up and drop off at the airport, will the taxis I get there on the return be able to take me all the way into the port and drop me off right at the ship? Is there a better location than either of these to rent a car for this trip?

Any tips on sites with best prices for car rental?

Finally, we have 2 adults and 3 kids. Do most European cars have 3 seatbelts in the back seat? Are there seatbelt laws in France?

We have never rented a car or driven in Europe before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

Not really sure what people mean by confusing in today's world. Google maps shows the A7 highway just 3 easy turns away from Gare Saint Charles. GPSs, smart phones can get you to where you need to go.

Probably cost 40 to 50 euro to get to the airport if that's what you choose. When reserving the taxi make sure to specify 5 people.

Also I suppose automatic transmission is a prerequisite for the rental, not to forget when reserving as well.

If it is a 5 person vehicle it will have the required amount of seat belts like everywhere in the world.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

Back passengers using seat belts is mandatory in France.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

Thanks so much, LouGari, for your reply. Sounds like we will be fine leaving from Saint Charles. I actually like driving a stick, so no worries there. Your tips are much appreciated!

Rachel

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

Great for the stick, we are few in the US! It will be much cheaper as well.

5. Re: Car rental question - Saint-Charles or Airport or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2014