We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calanques accessibility in the summer

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
6 posts
Save Topic
Calanques accessibility in the summer

Hi Everybody,

I'm planning to visit Marseille in second part of June and want to spend some time at Calaques de Marseille. I did walk across most of them 2 years ago in beginning of October and it's so great and rewarding experience that I want to repeat it this year.

However I have read that during the summer due to fire hazard calaques tend to be closed for most of the time. Does anyone know how it looks in practice in June? How often are calanques closed and does it concern all of them? To be precise I'm esp. interested in the ones located between Marseille and Cassis. Please share your experiences.

Many thanks,

Pawel

Provence
Level Contributor
802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calanques accessibility in the summer

You can walk in the calanque during hot or windy day.

The decision is made on a daily basis and can be either checked at the local tourist office or online

http://jet.sms.sfr-sh.fr/cdt13/CDT13info.html

There are 3 levels

Orange : authorised but be cautious

red : authorised only from 6 to 11 am

black : access forbidden

Hope this will help

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calanques accessibility in the summer

June should still be mostly open, it is really July and August but with the website above you can get the information. How often is unpredictable as phidou says it depends on wind dryness of vegetation.

The bulk of the calanque are between Marseille and Cassis, with very litte between Cassis and La Ciotat.

You can start either from Cassis going towards Marseille or from Marseille going towards Cassis. From Marseille a walk on the chemin de grande randonnee from Luminy (bus 21 or by car) is great too, the first calanque from there is Sugiton, you need to climb down from the GR. Beautiful viewpoints from the GR.

Marseille
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calanques accessibility in the summer

... and just in case you decide you will go for a walk in the hills, there is a similar system in place there:

www.bouches-du-rhone.gouv.fr/files/massif/

Despite what some tourists think, the risk of fire is very, very real.

4. Re: Calanques accessibility in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:05 am, March 03, 2014
5. Re: Calanques accessibility in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 28, 2014