We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

hi, i would need help as we only have around 24 hours in Marseille. I am interested to visit the calanques so i'd like to check which port or pier most cruises depart from? and would like to know which hotels (in which areas) i should be looking at so it won't be far away for me to get there in the morning.

After that calanque cruise i am planning to take the bus to visit Aix-en-Provence. Is the bus station to do that far away from the port/pier or the hotels you would recommend?

I would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

The calanque boat trips normally leave from the quai des Belges on the Old Port. Over the last few months they have moved to near the Mairie (Town Hall) on the quai du Port because of the building works on the Old Port, but they should soon return to their original site, if they haven't done so already.

Here's the map on the official Old Port website: vieuxportdemarseille.fr/images/lettre-infos_…

This page tells you how to get into Marseille from the cruise ship terminals and includes detailled maps of the port area: http://bit.ly/X7ENoh Some hotels near the terminals are listed at the bottom of the page.

Re Aix, you'll need to take a taxi or metro from the cruise ship area to the bus and train station. How to get around Marseille: http://bit.ly/91pLeE

Provence
Level Contributor
809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

I would myself rather stay in Cassis and enjoy the village and the cruise from the port. Many accomodation to choose from in Cassis.

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Hi AnglaiseaMarseille, thanks for the information, they are very helpful, i managed to list down a few hotels i can consider.

Hi phidou, we are very intrigued by your suggestion, Cassis looks lovely! If you don't mind, could you advise us how to get from Cassis to Aix en Provence? I can't seem to find information on a bus that goes directly there. Are there taxi options? If yes, how much would that cost roughly?

Thanks again!

Provence
Level Contributor
809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

There are no direct lines (to my knowledge between Cassis and Aix).

You can take the bus changing in Cassis with line 68 and then 72

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/…

You can also use the train (there is a station in cassis) but will need to change in Marseille as well.

Taxi will take about 40/45mn but I dont know the current rate. Would say around 80/100 out of my head

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Pretty as it is, Cassis is not well served by public transport. I don't know of any direct buses from Cassis either (I enquired about them around six months ago and there were none at that point). The train station is quite a long way out of town. There are details of some of the bus services to Cassis from Marseille and other places here (at the bottom of the page): http://bit.ly/Hw5QPs

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Part of this is a little unclear to me and I may be wrong but: let's call the boats to visit the Calanques "tour boats" and the boats to cruise..."cruise ships". Whether or not you are arriving in Marseille with a cruise ship docking at a cruise ship terminal (you actually do not say that, you just state that you are in Marseille for 48 hours..., Ok that sounds sort of "cruisy"!) you are asking from where the Calanques tours boats leave from (Vieux Port is correct) and where to stay close to where the Calanques tour boats leave from, so close to the Vieux Port. That is not close to the cruise ship terminals at all. Depending on your budget there are quite a few hotels near the Vieux Port: Sofitel,...use Trip Advisor to find them.

Then, I do agree with Phidou about Cassis, and seeing the Calanques from there. To get to Aix afterwards, take a taxi to the train station as mentioned it is not close to the center (thank God!) and change train in Marseille. The trip takes roughly 1h30 with the change in Marseille: here are some dparture from Cassis times I looked up on www.sncf.fr but it can depend on the intended day of the week:

16h27 17h00 17h30 18h00 18h30

So depending on how you arrive in Marseille, plane, cruise ship, train, automobile, you need to go from your arrival point to Cassis, Cassis to Aix then Aix to your departure point....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,349 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Cassis is a beautiful village and a great way to see the. Callanques. You can take one of many boats or hike to the calnques from cassis. We drove there from aix. It tajes about 40 minutes.

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

Hi all, thanks for the great info.

Hi LouGari - sorry about the confusion! I am referring to a Calanque boat tour, so close to Vieux Port will be where i want to be. We won't be on a cruise at any point. We are quite charmed by the idea of going to Cassis so the plan now is from Nice to Cassis to Aix .Would love to go to Marseille but cannot do both Cassis & Marseille.

Most likely, with the advice i have gathered, probably taking the train is the best idea. we will take a train from Nice to Cassis, then from Cassis to Aix.

Just 1 more question: how much roughly is the taxi ride from Cassis train station into the center? As AnglaiseaMarseille mentioned, it is quite out of town so is it easy to get 1 or we need to book in advance? We are coming in May 2013.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

It was more the answwers than your post that were confusing, as I say no where did you mention you were arriving on a cruise. Taxis come to the Cassis station for train arrivals so you should be ok. If there are many people you may have to wait for one to come back. The price should be between 15 and 20 euro? I never took it so if someone has...It is far to walk but a rather quick drive.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel or area to stay for calanque cruise

It was more the answwers than your post that were confusing, as I say no where did you mention you were arriving on a cruise. Taxis come to the Cassis station for train arrivals so you should be ok. If there are many people you may have to wait for one to come back. The price should be between 15 and 20 euro? I never took it so if someone has...It is far to walk but a rather quick drive.