We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Beware of Pickpockets

Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Beware of Pickpockets

Have just returned from a wonderful cruise and were lucky enough to spend a day in Marseille (wish it could have been longer). I had arranged a private tour guide for a few hours and one of the first things he advised was that I should remove my necklace and watch. We didn't have any trouble as we strolled through the historical areas but he mentioned a couple of areas to avoid.

As mentioned on TA there is a lot of construction work going on and some of the footpath areas are quite tight. lots of people getting jostled etc. My husband was walking behind me and spotted an old gypsy woman seemingly cradling a baby in her left arm and holding her hand out for money then her right hand was in his pocket!! He grabbed her arm and tossed it aside, she didn't get anything, ha ha. Funny though, he said he spotted her looking at his camera and although it happened in a split second he knew what she was going to do.

Just a reminder not to be complacent. This little incident didn't spoil our day in Marseille but just made us a little bit more aware.

1. Re: Travellers Beware of Pickpockets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 16, 2013