We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

I'm visiting Marseille for six days in September and I'm hoping to see some other parts of France whilst in the area. One of the hotels we're considering is near the airport.

We'd really like to visit Lyon and understand we can go by TGV which will take less than 2 hours. Is this correct and does the TGV leave from the airport station or would I need to connect in the city ?

Another trip we'd like to make is to see the Pont du Gard. From the information I've been able to find, it seems the easiest way by public transport is by taking a bus from Avignon. We only plan to spend half a day there so would it be feasible to take the train to Avignon, spend a bit of time there and then bus to Pont du Gard. Again, would we need to take the train from the city centre ? Any pointers regarding public transport would be useful as most of the sites I've looked at are only in French. I've tried my best but haven't been able to clarify exactly what we need to know !!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

To answer your direct questions, the fast trains from Marseille to Lyon go from the main station Marseille St Charles. They are TGV trains and therefore tseat reservations are required. The trains to Avignon Centre do stop at Vitrolles, which is the station near the airport, having started or previously passed through St Charles.

Quite frankly, I think you might be better staying in Marseille itself rather than at the airport, at least for the bulk of your stay (possibly moving to the airport for the last night if it is a very early flight back to Scotland). Vitrolles station is very basic and mainly deals with people going to or from the airport and commuters to the industrial/commercial centres in the area.

A good website for background information on rail travel in France, and other countries, is www.seat61.com.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

You can get a bus from Nimes or Avignon to the pont du Gard.

A15 from Avignon see https:/…

E52 from Nimes https:/…

You can get a train from Marseille to Nimes or Avignon.

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

Thanks to you both for the information. I'll check out the website for more details regarding rail travel and also look into the Nimes and Avignon.

Would you recommend Nimes or Avignon as a stop off on the way to Pont du Gard ?

Regarding hotels, I also looked at the Holiday Inn which I believe is directly opposite Marseille St Charles. Often the areas surrounding rail stations aren't the best and from what I've read it's no different in Marseille. The hotel seems to get a reasonable review on Trip Advisor but do you know anything about the street/area ? Marseille doesn't have the best reputation for safety but from what I hear this is perhaps unjustified and it's no less safe than any large city. Although I don't intend being out too late, I'd prefer to stay in a reasonable area.

Thanks

Marseille
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

Unless you have a fondness for industrial estates, I would forget the airport. Similarly, unless you like train stations I would not choose to stay in the area around St Charles.

You can get to the station from any Metro stop so, unless you have a lot of baggage (or mobility problems), there is no need to stay in the immediate vicinity.

Metros are fast, frequent and reliable during the day and there are a variety of deals:

rtm.fr/guide-voyageur/acheter/deplacements-o…

Why not stay somewhere more central?

Marseille
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

Sorry I forgot to include this, there is some information in English on public transport here http://goo.gl/jwqsh

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

Great, thanks very much for the information. I'll check it out......

7. Re: Public Transport from Marseille to Lyon and Pont du Gard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, December 15, 2013