We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

We'll make a cruise stop in Marseilles and would enjoy going to towns w/charm in the Provence area. So far we have not rented a car (not sure that will be doable due to no rental agencies near the port???), but that was our orig idea. Any info. on which towns would be best to visit would be helpful.. I will mention that we aren't really interested in visiting a winery. Any towns along the line of St. Paul d' Vence or Ez, or something esp. quaint or even "touristy" is fine. Need info. on which towns would fit the bill.

Thanks for any help or info!

Marseille
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

There is a link to a company that does guided kayak tour of the calanques here:

http://goo.gl/TK4uI

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

I adore cassis but then again I'm partial to coastal towns. I also love all of Aix. Nether one however is like Ez or st Paul as you mentioned in your original question.

If you can get a car and have the time it sounds like you would enjoy some of the closer luberon towns. Lourmarin is close and cute and Bonnieux is absolutely charming.

Even closer but off the beaten track are 2 hill towns past cassis but before bandol. La Cadiere d'azure and le castellet. Both are surrounded by wineries on hills near the highway with views of the sea. Assuming no traffic they are 35-45 min from Marseille.

Without a car and time though then cassis is your best option (if you like the sea) or Aix.

gibraltar
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

I am considering starting a two week driving tour starting at Marseilles could someone offer suggestions on itinerary we would fly back from Marseilles as well.

Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

Hi bayside63,

I would suggest:

- starting your own thread

- buying a guide and doing some ground work, then asking for some advice to fine tune. We do not know if you will have a car, what you like,...

gibraltar
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

We would hire a car for the two weeks I particularly like charming towns. I am also looking at cassis would there be any small villas by the sea?

Thanks for your kind reply

Bayside

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

Are you looking to use Cassis as a base for the 2 weeks and do day trips or move constantly from place to place? You do not mention when you are doing this either. If July/August this year hurry! Rentals will be getting scarce. Trip Advisor has Flip Key where you can search villas for rent but there is usually a 7 night minimum, especially during the high season, but there are others sites such as www.abritel.fr as well.

There are hundreds of villages so buy a guide to Provence and make a first selection. Or search this forum for suggestions or the web.

gibraltar
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

Thanks for the info I will get a guide

Regards

Bayside

Newcastle, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

I will be in port on cruise in October and it will be my birthday so I want to make it special and hopefully with no hassles, we are seniors but fairly fit. Could you tell me how you got to Cassis (transport), where from and also can you do the trip to Calanques from Cassis or do you have to come back to Marseilles. our ship docks at 8am and leaves at 5pm so that would gives us about 6 hours...thankyou..really appreciate the help on this site

Atlanta
Level Contributor
77 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

Easiest directions to Cassis from the port? Which Train, bus?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
77 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Charmiing towns outside Marseilles? (One day in port.)

Is the weather too cool or rough for the boat trips in November