We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

chagrin falls ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

We're heading to Paris mid september and at the end of our trip we're heading to Provence/French Riveria for 2 or 3 nights.

Wondering if there is a central location to stay between the French Rivereia and Provence or if they are just too far away from each other. Maybe it would be best to just commit to one or the other. If that is the case - I choose Provence.

So, if it doesn't make sense to stay somewhere between the French Riviera and Provence, then what is the best town to stay at in Provence?

The reason I posted in Marseille is because my wife seems really focused on Marseille but I'm not hearing the best reviews about it.

Your thoughts?

One more question - easy to drive around? From train station to hotel and then around provence, nice, etc..... ?

Lots of questions - thanks to anyone who has advice!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

Both Marseille and the French Riviera are IN Provence. But with only 3 nights, you'll do best to choose either the eastern (Côte d'Azur/Riviera) or western region. Trying to visit both in the time you have will mean you won't see much except roads.

Marseille isn't my favorite place to stay, as it's a very large, bustling city. If you'll have a car, the pretty town of St-Rémy would be a good location, as it's central for sightseeing.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

I agree that Marseille doesn't feel like a vacation place...

If you want to see western Provence (Avignon,...) yes, Saint Remy is definitely a good place

To see eastern Provence (Aix en Provence,...) I would stay in Cassis

You have a vehicle so you are fine.

Agreee also that you should not attempt to do both.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

The main and fastest route between Provence and the Cote d'Azur is the A8 Motorway - unfortunately this is the most boring route possible - you will have to endure the rear view of trucks from numerous nations. If you have to do this route try the Chateau du Berne at Lorgues for a stop off.

The most scenic but slower route is along the coast - a world class road - try Hyeres, le Lavandou , anywhere on the St Tropez peninsula ( except possibly St Tropez !)

Ed

4. Re: Good central place to stay between marseille/provence & nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, July 14, 2013