We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help on transportation from london to Marseille

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help on transportation from london to Marseille

Hi, need some advice:

my children, 20 year old boy and 15 year old girl, will be traveling from England to Marseille for Christmas. They will be bringing their skiis and snowboards.

my daugher will be flying to England from Toronto and my son is living in Leeds. they are supposed to meet up before going to Marseille together.

1. What is the best way for them to go to Marseille since they have quite a bit of things to carry? Train or fly?

2. also if they are flying, i think i should get my daughter to fly into Gatrick instead of Heathrow, is that right?

3. if they are going by train, does it matter which airport that my daughter gets in?

i will be posting this in London forum, thanks for your help.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

If flying get your daughter to fly into Gatwick as that is where the direct flights to Marseille leave from.

Check pricing with British Airways and Easyjet, a budget airline - especially comparative costs for transporting skis and snow boards and baggage allowance. British Airways has a price comparison calculator on its web site as the budget airlines may not always be the cheapest option (we once got a BA Club ticket for less than a budget airline was quoting for cattle class)

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

It will be a good deal cheaper to travel to Marseille by train, given that your children want (1) to travel over Christmas and (2) will be taking heavy luggage.

Over the peak Christmas period, the so-called "cheap" airlines will be as expensive, if not more so, than British Airways. Ryanair (which flies to Marseille out of Stansted, incidentally) is especially fond of piling on extra charges for check-in bags but this can apply equally to EasyJet.

If going by train, they will take the Eurostar from London, St Pancras. Your daughter can get there EITHER from Heathrow on the Piccadilly Underground Line OR from Gatwick on the Thameslink rail line (northbound).

Your son should be travelling by British Rail from Leeds into Kings Cross station, which is right next to St Pancras.

www.marseille-provence.info

Edited: 3:38 pm, October 08, 2010
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

Hi -

Consider renting skis and snowboards and dragging only the appropriate footwear on the road. It probably won't cost any more than all the baggage charges, and will be a whole lot easier to manage in and out of airports and on and off trains. They're still going to be feeling like beasts of burden, but will survive more easily and run lesser risks of theft.

4. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:45 pm, November 06, 2015
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

Yes, I was going to suggest the same as Diz. You won't want to change trains in Paris -- it involves travelling across town from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de Lyon. Horrible trip. especially with bulky baggage (and taxis will charge a handsome premium, assuming you can get one).

Infinitely better to change in Lille at the same station even if it's slightly more expensive.

6. Re: help on transportation from london to Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, April 09, 2011