We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille?

Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Marseille?

I am going to Marseilles on September 2nd to 7th for my first abroad break with my boyfriend.

We are staying at the New Hotel Vieux Port.

I chose Marseille and hope that we wont be disappointed( having read some of the reviews on this site it sometimes feel like i have made a bad choice- hopefully not though.

Can some one suggest some good restaurants,bars, can you go anywhere to do wine tasting?

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
New Hotel Vieux Port
New Hotel Vieux Port
756 Reviews
Marseille, France
NYC
Level Contributor
229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille?

yes! there is a new-ish wine bar right near the Préfecture... aw man I totally forgot the name but they have tons of wines and a great menu. Hmm I will ask around. It's near the Préf though.

You have NOT made a bad choice! You will love Marseille, the weather will be great in September.

How much $$ does your boyfriend have? ha ha Just asking because two of Marseille's nicest restaurants are Le Péron (right on the Corniche, literally on the water, with spectacular views of the sea and the Château d'If..) it is très expensive but the food is divine. I had pigeon there!

Or go to La Petite Nice (which has 2 michelin stars, it is REAALLY expensive, like hundreds of Euros.. but worth it).

You will find some fun bars around the Vieux Port near the Fort St. Jean, trendy places, cocktails, etc.

email me if you have other q's

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille?

We have just returned from Marseille after a week's stay and found it a truly beautiful city. Its reputation for grittiness is now unfounded. It is now as safe as any other big city. The area around the Vieux Port and the Panier are really colourful as is the Cours Julien in the Plaine area.

Great places to enjoy excellent cuisine at very reasonable prices are Le Quinze on rue des Trois-Rois, Au Lamparo on Place de Lenche and Chez Madie on Quai du Port. You must also try Toinou Dégustation on Cours Saint-Louis for excellent shellfish platters.

Bonnes vacances!

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Hotel Saint Louis
Hotel Saint Louis
467 Reviews
Marseille, France
Chez Madie
Chez Madie
407 Reviews
Marseille, France
Toinou
Toinou
657 Reviews
Aix-en-Provence, France
3. Re: Marseille?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 08, 2009