We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking at night in orange

New Zealand
14 posts
walking at night in orange

I'm visiting Orange for an evening concert at the Amphitheatre, but the travel agent has booked a hotel a 30 minute walk away. Will it be safe to walk back to the hotel at night?

Any advice much appreciated.

C

12 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,699 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: walking at night in orange

Entirely safe. Violent street crime is very unusual in most places in France.

But I think you need to find another travel agent. A hotel 30 minutes' walk from the amphitheatre will be well outside the town.

New Zealand
14 posts
2. Re: walking at night in orange

Thank you - the advice is really appreciated :-)

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: walking at night in orange

If your hotel is 30 minutes walk from the amphitheatre maybe it is because anything closer is full (just speculation). If you tell us which hotel it is we might get a better idea. Orange is very busy on the nights of performances.

New Zealand
14 posts
4. Re: walking at night in orange

It's Campanile Orange, but I've checked on trip adviser and there are a couple of others closer :-).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,699 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: walking at night in orange

Well, it is only a kilometre from the Antique Theatre, so I can't see that being a 30-minute walk. But I am not sure that I would want to walk there late at night. You would have to walk along the main road out of Orange towards the autoroutes. Although Google shows that it has sidewalks, there may not be much pedestrian traffic. There are a number of hotels in that area, so there could be some foot traffic after a performance.

I suspect that the travel agent chose that hotel because it is part of a chain, and so it was easy to make a booking and get the commission. As with trains (in your other thread), I find it is better to make my own hotel bookings rather than use a travel agent.

It would be helpful if you could amend your profile to show which country you are from. It would make it easier to assess how likely it is that your agent will be grossly ignorant.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,066 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: walking at night in orange

Oh what a treat you are in for though. We have visited but not seen a concert. The photos of the concerts look amazing and the theatre is mind blowing.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: walking at night in orange

Not less than 20mn, imo.

The extreme right mayor has been ruling this place since 1995 with an iron fist.Security is one of his pet subject.

Can't give you any update in this respect:if it was not for a performance, I wouldn't take time to go there.

Make sure you have a cushion.The uneven Roman stones can reveal very uncomfortable and ruin your experience.

New Zealand
14 posts
8. Re: walking at night in orange

Thank you - really appreciate the advice.

Edited: 8:54 pm, June 27, 2016
New Zealand
14 posts
9. Re: walking at night in orange

:-) thanks - that's great info. My travel agent's in New Zealand, and maybe hasn't been to South of France.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
278 reviews
10. Re: walking at night in orange

Undoubtedly your agent booked that hotel because there was nothing else left. To be sure of something more central, you need to book the hotel several months in advance, the day you buy your ticket. But it isn't a very long walk and you will be quite safe. Walking is the only option anyway because taxis tend to be booked up way in advance and there aren't many of them.

There are people selling cushions and clever folding seats outside the amphitheatre, near the entrances. If it is windy, it will get cold once the sun goes down, so take a wrap of some kind just in case. And definitely wear flat shoes for the steps (and the walking).

Reply to: walking at night in orange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted