We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

I booked tickets for the Choregies d'Orange opera in August. What the heck--we're not opera buffs, but the experience of seeing a live opera in the amphitheatre in Orange was just too appealing, so we went ahead and did it. Expensive, but got tickets in the heavens, so not too bad!

We're staying in Vendargues, in between Nimes and Montpellier, and the opera doesn't start till 9:30 on Aug. 4th, so we'll want to do some site-seeing/visiting other towns/places in the environs that day. I'd very much appreciate any input/suggestions. I have towns/things grouped together already, but thought I'd get some good advice from some France/Provence 'experts'.

Thanks so much. Barbara

Maine
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

Hey, what a great score! I would love to see an opera in the middle of the summer! It if were me, I would stay right in Orange for the night- you might not return to your village until well after 2am! There are nice places to stay for really reasonable prices within walkng distance and you can park for free over night up until 9 am. I do know that the theatre seats are stone, and you need to bring cushions to sit on and bring warm layers, as the opera begins when it gets dark and it could get quite uncomfortable. Close to Orange is Chateauneuf du Pape; a great place to visit if you like wine. And there are perched wine villages just near Orange, Gigondas, Sablet, Seguret and more roman ruins in Vaison la Romaine. There is also Pont du Gard, the most amazing aquaduct just west of Orange. It is a must see, as is the Orange theatre.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

lvfr8's advice is perfect regarding where to stay that night and the fact that you should be prepared for cool night tremperatures, since the opera doesn't begin until 9 PM.

If you could tell us a little bit more about your interests and how much longer you intend to be in Western Provence it would be a big help insofar as any further recommendations vis-a-vis must sees, where to eat etc.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

Hello lvfr8 and apillesGal,

I remember the stone seats in the amphitheatre--saw Barbara there more than 25 years ago when I lead a group of American students to Provence and Belgium--a highlight of the trip for me! Thanks for the reminder re: cushions and sweaters to keep us warm. I think we'll go back home because w/our home exchange, we'll be watching a dog and a cat, and even if it's late--we'll sleep in the next day.

I think Gigondas, Sablet and Seguret sound just perfect. When I was last in Provence, we stayed in Ville Dieu, a tiny hamlet (then), and walked to Vaison la Romaine, which I loved so much--ate the best peach on that walk (pulled from an orchard, I confess), and I still have the taste memory in my mouth!

We're planning Pont du Gard and Chateauneuf du Pape, but that might be too much in 1 days--we'll be in Vendargues for 14 days, then off to Paris for 6.

So--Gigondas, Sablet and Seguret, then Orange.

ApillesGal--we are foodies, we love exploring, discovering, whatever. What I remember so much about Vaison and Provence besides the amazing food, the lavender fields and the beauty, was the Roman ruins, the markets, and everything!

Any must see's a bit off the beaten track--that's us.

Thanks!

Barbara

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

ApillesGal,

My brother will join us for 10 days--3 in Provence/6 in Paris. He used to be a sous-chef in a well-respected French restaurant in NYC, but has never been to Europe, so we though he needed more time in Paris!

To answer your question (you'll see in my previous reply), we'll be in Provence for 2 weeks.

We want to visit Avignon, Aix, Arles, of course Nimes and Montpellier (there's been articles in both the New York Times and the Washington Post about them in the last few months.

Also, before the opera in Orange, will go to Chateauneuf du Pape, as recommended, awa Sablet, Gigondas, etc.

We also want to visit Gordes, Apt, St. Remy en Provence, Brantes and Isle sur la Sorgue, so looking to see how to organize these for day trips, if possible.

Any thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.

Barbara

5. Re: Opera @ nite -Where 2 Visit 4 day part of our itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 21, 2009