We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

Villeneuve-la-Garenn...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

Hello all,

I'm from Indonesia, a tropical country and i'm planning to go to France this Dec 12th. I know that France is a 4 season country therefore i have a hard time to imagine about the weather there.

here in my country we got 20 Celcius degrees (the lowest) at that moment how about at Orange? I do notice that Orange is in the south side of France and it makes the weather much warm than the north but still... what should i prepare for this kind of weather? is it going to be rainy?? or just a windy and chilly??

Can i have some suggestion on what to bring and to wear.. i'll stay there for quite a long time. maybe a year.

UK
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

Here's a weather forecast for Orange at the moment. france.meteofrance.com/france/meteo… This is actually colder than it is in London (England). I don't know Orange specifically, but here's some general advice about western Provence. You will need a warm coat for winter, gloves, hat and scarf. If you have seen a book by Peter Mayle called A year in Provence, he quotes the comment that Provence is a cold place with a high rate of sunshine. Temperatures can get well below freezing, especially on high ground, in the mountain areas. There is a wind called the Mistral and when it blows, it comes straight off the Alps (mountain range) and is fiercely strong and very cold. However the summer can be fiercely hot, up to 40 degrees celsius. The trick is to wear layers, so have thin clothes that you can wear under thicker ones.

Have a wonderful time and let us know how you get on!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

The Mistral is said to drive people mad and blow the ears off donkeys and is said to blow for an odd number of days - I always forget to count!

The one advantage is that when the Mistral blows the sky is always clear and a beautiful blue.

Be prepared for rain when you arrive and you may even see snow on the top of Mont Ventoux - I always have to drive up there when there is snow just to remind myself of the great contrasts in weather in the area from season to season.

If you are planning to stay for a long time why not buy there to match the locals season by season?

Villeneuve-la-Garenn...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

Thank you for your suggestion and information Chantal and Bouche.

I was thinking the same thing about buying the outfit as soon as i get there but i really want to prevent myself of becoming ill on my first week there. actually, i'm preparing mostly for this season and for the rest three i'll be looking at local stores. it will be easier that way i guess

thanks thanks thanks for the infos. really appreciate it.

i did some deeper search about the city but the thing is that i really want to know the other's experience who have visited Orange :D ...

*bisous*

4. Re: Going to Orange on Dec 2008 - Weather and clothing issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 12, 2009