We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edmonton
Level Contributor
53 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

Hello everyone. We are becoming extremely frustrated looking for accommodations for our trip next August to Villefranche. We are finding that very few owners are getting back to us even after we send 2 email inquiring about there apartments. On top of that we are also finding that many places only rent from Saturday to Saturday during the summer or only for 2 weeks, both of which are very inconvenient for someone travelling to multiple spots thru Europe as we are not necessarily spending a full week at each stop and not necessarily from Saturday to Saturday. Does anyone have any suggestions for apartments for rent that we are overlooking. We are hoping to spend at most about 700 Euros for a week. Any help would be appreciated as I'm sure many of you have found amazing places to stay that we perhaps haven't come across yet.

Thank you

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

You are far too early for them to set prices, etc. Try about April next year.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

This is one of the world's most popular holiday destinations, so almost everyone, including me, will only rent for at least a week in August and most have fixed days of arrival and departure. Even Pierre & Vacances, whose apartments resemble large cupboards, have no difficulty renting in August. To stay for shorter periods you will almost certainly either have to book a week or stay in a hotel. By next April there could well be no August availability for either flats or hotels in Villefranche. Someone I know, who has a nice flat in the old town with a sea view, is fully booked from 1 June to 13 September, mainly with repeat bookings.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

As LondonBob says Villefranche is indeed a very popular destination - and rightly so. But both residential and hotel accommodation is very limited. I suggest you try somewhere like Antibes where judging by the number of shuttered apartments last August there is plenty of accommodation available. You are still only about 45 minutes from Villefranche.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

W.B.,

There will also be shuttered flats in Villefranche but most are closed up because their owners don't rent them out. If we were wealthy enough we wouldn't rent either.

All the best,

Bob

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

OK.....

First off, Villefranche is very small....fewer than 6,000 citizens.

It is incredibly popular and deservedly so, as it is a gorgeous little village.

The Cote d'Azur is one of the world's most popular destinations in July and August.....again deservedly so. It is packed with visitors and the demand for vacation rentals is through the roof.

Vacation rentals in France are almost always in 7 day increments (Saturday to Saturday), particularly in the peak season. 2 week minimum rentals in summer are common. End of matter. It's the way that it is.

Vacation rental owners (or agencies) could care less if that is "convenient" for you or your travel plans.

They are inundated with potential renters. They don't need to be flexible to cater to your "needs."

A budget of 700 euros a week in Villefranche in August might get you a place the size of a closet well up the hill away from the water....but likely not.

If you think that you are going to go to the Cote d'Azur in August and rent an apartment for 3 or 4 days and pay 100 euros a night for it......you need to dramatically re-think your plans.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

I have never come across an apartment in summer that requests 2 weeks stay minimum... and I have searched through a lot. Perhaps it is common in Villefranche, but not in Nice (in my experience).

edmonton
Level Contributor
53 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

I don't think that everyone read my original post. We are not looking to stay for 3-4 night, we are booking for a week. We understand that Villefranche is busy in August and that the owners have the upper hand and can choose to do what they want regardless of what is convenient to the renter. And we don't think that our budget of around 700 Euros is unreasonable as we have seen many places who advertise prices in that range. What is extremely frustrating is the lack of response back from the majority of owners we have sent emails to. If you only rent Saturday to Saturday, that is fine but tell me that in a reply. If you only rent for 2 weeks in August, then tell me that but simply ignoring potential customers is very frustrating. I run a business and would never just ignore potential customers even if I cannot accommodate them at this time. I am afraid that if we wait till April to book there will be very little left and at extremely high prices as a few places we have inquired about have said they have some August bookings already. I was hoping to get some suggestions from ones who have been there about where to find accommodations and what part of Villefranche is best. I still look forward to hearing from you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

I think that you are expecting that vacation rental owners are going to approach this like some kind of retail business where they have to provide "customer service." It isn't and and a lot of them don't, unless they really understand what they are doing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have not rented an apartment / villa or gite in Europe before. If I am going someplace new and I am looking for a vacation rental, I expect that I will receive responses from less than 50% of the people I contact. It's just the way it works.

People are likely not responding to you because:

They haven't yet heard from their regular renters who come every summer and they are holding dates.

They know that there apartment will rent for sure and they don't care.

They haven't decided on their 2014 rates yet.

English is not their first language and they would rather communicate in French.

Or any other reason at all......

Vacation rental owners only need one "customer" a week.......and in a place like Villefranche in August....that customer is pretty much guaranteed.

I must admit, I don't know why you are so upset that people are not getting back to you. Doesn't it set off a waring light? If they are not going to respond to a rental inquiry, how do you think that they might respond (or likely not) if you actually rent the place and have a problem.

Your budget of 700 euros a week for August is quite low.....if you want to find something.....expand your search to some larger communities like Nice, Antibes and JLP. Or better still, look inland for some more budget-minded accomodations.

Edited: 2:27 pm, October 27, 2013
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

If you are looking for a studio or a one bed apartment, your budget should find something in August.

It may be a little early for some owners to have updated rates for next summer, but leaving it until April would be unwise.

As to not receiving replies, which websites are you enquiring through?

edmonton
Level Contributor
53 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villefranche-Sur-Mer Accomodations

We have booked villa's in Europe before, mainly Italy tho, never in France and I have to say that I found it was far easier to book a place in Positano or Venice or Lake Como than in France. Its unfortunate. I have found regardless of the site we have used....tripadvisor, holidayletting, homeaway, all have had poor email returns. We may have to reschedule our dates to Saturday to Saturday as that has been the main problem, not so much the price. 700 Euro's seems reasonable for a lot of apartments but the ones that have gotten back seem to always be Saturday to Saturday which is unusual as we haven't come across that in Italy before but I guess that is just how it is in France. If any one has any suggestions, please PM me with the details of the place that they have enjoyed. Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer