We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in villefranche - update

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
parking in villefranche - update

am here currently, and noticed a sign at a friend's hotel about a new permit system where you can buy a week-long parking permit to park your car on the street by the fort. will find out the details of where to get the permit, but thought I'd post this update as I think this is a new development?

North Wales
Level Contributor
754 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in villefranche - update

This is an interesting development. We stayed in VFM during August 5 years ago and parking wasn't too much of a problem , especially during the evening and overnight. We stayed again three weeks ago (staying in an apartment at the Palais...above the Beluga bar) and parking was a major problem. All official parking spaces are now charged at 1.80 euro per hour. Therefore if we arrived back in VSM at 4-5 pm after a day out, parking would cost anything between 22 and 30 euros - depending on when we would leave the following day - in Place Wilson or the multi-storey. If we were fortunate, We sometimes found a free space on the narrow road that leads down to the station. I think it unfair that there are no 24 hour or even weekly permit rates, especially in the multi-storey, which had plenty of empty spaces. I found the parking situation frustrating and another example of the Cote d'Azur fleecing tourists in whatever way they can! VSM is such a great place to visit, but it seems to do little to ease the congestion and parking problem... and before some of you respond with 'you don't need a car in VSM'...well no you don't, but we like to head to the hills and tour the coast and the buses and trains are heaving in peak-season.

I was also interested to see that the beach at VSM seems to have been 'expanded' towards its eastern side, thus attracting a 'different' clientele and losing some of its attraction. A new development one evening sounded like open-air karaoke.

One of the highlights of our stay was looking at the fireworks display from a couple of boats in the bay one evening. I've seen some good ones previously, but these were a match fort anything I'd seen previously. Rumour has it that one of the American computer billionaires with estates nearby might have been footing the bill.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in villefranche - update

I understand this problem, was in Vsm in early august this year, and was staying in Prom does Marinieres. I waited for 40 minutes for a free space on the front, was lucky and the car didn't move for the week, when we left for a week in the Alps, where we definitely did need the car. Patience is the key.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in villefranche - update

Hi,

Any update on the parking permit system you mentioned above?. I'm arriving by car next week for the week.

Thanks.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in villefranche - update

I understood that the parking permit is only available to people who own property in the village? The Citadel car park is 1.20 during the day and free at night. I don't usually have a car in Villefranche but when I do I have always managed to find free street parking. The extension of the beach is an attempt to help with the overcrowding in August. I don't believe there is any change in the clientele. In high season there are, remarkably, usually eight police officers along the seafront during the day and anyone disturbing others is dealt with very quickly. A week or two ago I saw two men, who started a loud argument on the beach, being deposited very forcibly in the back of a police car and driven away, possibly to be used as land fill for more beach improvement..

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in villefranche - update

I don't think fleecing the driver is the prime reason for high charges,Welshman... More the fairer allocation of space in an area where real estate is very scarce and expensive.

Ed

Rotherham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in villefranche - update

Can anyone tell me if there is less of a problem with parking out of season as with most other tourist places, looking at being over there at the beginning of April for a few days before moving further north, would imagine i have answered my own question but would be good if someone who has visited could verify.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: parking in villefranche - update

I don't think there is going to be any problem in parking in April almost anywhere - except perhaps in the centre of Nice. The main problem is for tourists ( who are still having breakfast at 11 am) expecting to park right beside a beach in mid-summer. Like those loungers around the pool you have to get up early.

Incidentally surely those week long passes, e.g at Villefranche, are not going to do anything except exacerbate the situation and freeze out more parking space.. The 'Permanently Parked Rental Car' is already a big problem as tourists drop their cars and use the buses and trains. The rental companies must love having the headache of parking a tonne of metal taken away from them - and being paid for it.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking in villefranche - update

There can be a problem finding parking in Villefranche on a sunny weekend even in April, as much of the population of northern Italy turns up for a stroll beside the beach. Many people who live in Villefranche have no private parking so most of the street parking is permanently occupied.

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: parking in villefranche - update

Would like to day trip to VSM this May, mostly to spend the day at the beach. Where is the best place to park, and how much should we plan to spend? It sounds like arriving early to find a parking space is best, so how early is early?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: parking in villefranche - update

Rather than being disappointed you may like to look at public transport options . Villefranche is well connected by train and bus- of course it depends where you are coming from but e.g. it is only 5 minutes by regular train from Nice.

Ed

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer