We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Hello TA friends:

Decided after hearing so much about VFSM that we should spend a beach day there as opposed to another in Cannes( we are based in cannes and love). This is our plan so far please advise if makes sense or how we could do it better or if not worth doing. We have 3 kids (9,11,14) we are all active and love travel and venturing out.

Depart Cannes 930am....Train??

Arrive VFSM and head to beach...directions??

Have lunch at Le cosmo...should i stop on way to beach to make resv??

Boat rental at Dark pelican for a few hours.

Rue obscure----worth it?

Fort changing of guards...Worth it???

thanks so much for your help and suggestions are so appreciated:)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

The beach is directly below the station. Just go down one flight of steps. Le Cosmo is not my favourite but a good compromise between quality and price. No need to make the detour required for a reservation for lunch. Rue Obscure is a 30 second walk up Rue de May from the seafront, beside Oursin Bleu restaurant. Put putting in the Dark Pelican craft you can hire without a permit ranks with my most boring moments but I really don't like boats with engines. IMO a stroll to St Jean Cap Ferrat is much more worth while. There are no guards to change at the Citadel. Again IMO the most interesting thing about Villefranche (where I live part of the time) is its spectacular location.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Bob (as always) has it right. NIx the boat ride for a wonderful walk over to St Jean Cap Ferrat.

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

@london bob thanks so much!!! Love the detail!!! Should I take a train or bus from Cannes and what number if bus??

Thanks again

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Coming from Cannes I would advise taking the train - it is around 55 minutes and there are at least 2 an hour that go direct . By bus you have to change from the Cannes bus in Nice to another bus. The Cannes Nice bus while cheap (1.5 euro) is exceptionally slow - up to 2 hours if traffic is bad - and hot and crowded .

Ed,

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Also after the uncomfortably slow #200 bus to Nice, changing buses in Nice to another hot and crowded vehicle, the bus stop in Villefranche is up a hill above the seashore

Do not consider taking the bus, train is the way to go !

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Trains are often cancelled but even if one is missing still much faster than the bus. If you did walk to St Jean you could get bus 81 to Beaulieu train station for the return to Cannes.

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

hello again bob

We are in VF and WOW!!!! what a lovely day we are having first at the beaach now at Cosmo. Skipping boat ride as per your suggestion:0

Question...how do we get from here to St Jean Cap ferret? Do we take a bus? what number and what do we do when we get there:)

thanks so much this was SOOOOO WORTH it:)

TA is amazing and so are all of its contributors:)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

Probably too late now but easiest is to walk. Climb steps at end of beach and go straight ahead with the railway on your left. At traffic lights go down the hill to the Royal Riviera hotel and turn right along the Promenade Maurice Rouvier, a beautiful path which takes you to St Jean in about 15 minutes. Otherwise climb up to main road and take bus 81.

9. Re: Day trip to Ville franche sur mer..Some help please:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer