We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Has anyone rented a vacation rental apartment in an apartment building known as Le Neptune at 538 (or maybe 38)avenue George Clemenceau, in Villefranche-sur-Mer.What was your experience?.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Hi - yes I have, in fact we stayed there in early May 2012. We found the location to be really convenient if you don't have a car - you are basically behind the train station. It's 5 mins by train to Nice, 15 mins to Monaco. We are sensitive to noise but the trains seemed really quiet and never woke us up (they stop during the night anyway).

The apartments all face the same way, so they will all have a gorgeous view over the town and the bay. Our apartment was renovated and while it was small, offered all the amenities i.e. dishwasher, washing machine etc. I only saw two apartments in the block so I obviously can't speak for all of them - they are separately owned and managed.

It's also a short walk to the beach (although the beach isn't that great by Australian standards) and about 10 mins into town. The centre of town is absolutely gorgeous - closed off to cars (feels a bit like Venice) with lots of cute restaurants and shops. A much better option than staying in busy, touristy Nice!

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Dear BC001-thank you so much for your posting re Le Neptune apartment in Villefranche and the good information you provided. I really appreciate it. We will be staying at Le Neptune for 2 weeks and plan to do some of our own cooking.I am wondering if you did any grocery shoppying in Villefranche, or is it necessary to go to Nice for groceries. How about shops where one can purchase prepared meals. Also, I am really confused re the bus and train service from Villefranche to the many towns and villages in the area. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

I spend about ten weeks a year in Villefranche. There are plenty of food shops but all are expensive. If we are going to be there for a while we shop in Carrefour which is on the main road as you enter Nice, bus stop Maeterlinck, then pick up odds and ends locally. The French aren't big on ready meals and I don't recall seeing any in the small Villefranche super markets. Bus 100 runs between Nice and Menton every 15 mins. Bus 81 also goes to Nice, so you have about six buses an hour in total. All journeys cost one euro paid to the driver. Buses are often full going from Nice in the morning and back in the evening, so the train can be useful at those times, although it can be difficult to board when the bank workers are returning from Monaco to their homes in Nice.

I normally use buses east of Nice and trains on the rare occasion I go west, as the road journey in that direction is slow and horrible. From Nice you can go almost anywhere by bus but finding the place to board is much more difficult since they demolished the bus station.

I know at least two shops in Villefranche that tend to make 'mistakes' in giving change to visitors, so count it carefully before you leave the shop.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

no Picard in Villefranche?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

While I know roses may be blooming in Picardy I can only guess that Picard is a shop? Villefranche is well equipped with bakeries, fruit and cheese shops but the three very small supermarkets are independently owned and extremely expensive, with some products triple the usual UK price.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Thank you LondonBob for info re Nice Carrefour. Googling getting to the supermarket located at the Maeterlinck bus stop looks easy enough. You mentioned bus 100 and 81 and I am wondering where the bus stops for these buses are located in Villefranche. Do you know if there are bus routes and schedules available on line or elsewhere. Thanks.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

You can see bus schedules at lignesdazur.com. There is little point in checking those for the 100 heading for Nice as traffic means that they arrive at more or less random intervals and, just like the UK, sometimes arrive in pairs. However, it is useful to see the times for the 81 as, travelling a much shorter distance, they are able to stick close to schedule and much less likely to be full. Drivers do their best to pick people up and sometimes when they drive past indicate with a wave of the finger that there is another bus close behind. I heard one American tourist interpret this finger movement incorrectly one day!!

The central bus stop in Villefranche is Octroi, a good one to avoid as the mob from the cruise ships tend to head for it. From your flat just climb up to the main road and wander along. It is only about 200 yards or so between stops. It is pleasant to get on before Octroi and witness the crowd of 50 or so boiling in the sun who may have to wait another 30 minutes or so before a bus has space for them.

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Hi

We stayed last week at the Le Neptune, the easiest supermarket to get to is the Super U next to Beaulieu station just one stop away. It opens at 8.30 till late and on Sunday mornings.

John

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

There is a small Picard near the Octroi bus stop 8 AVENUE DU MARECHAL FOCH. Picard is frozen food shop, but not a cheap 100 frozen pizzas for a euro type place . It does sell ready meals that many people love -i use picards to buy ingredients [game, fish , frozen berries etc]

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Neptune apartments in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Thanks John, the Beaulieu Super U supermarket sounds like a good option for grocery shopping. I am not familiar with the train operation or schedule--does one have to book the train trips ahead of time or can we just go down the street to the train station and hop on. I have been looking at the France train issue on line and find it very confusing, Did you use the bus services? Thanks again for your advice.

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer