We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to arrive and depart

Kingston
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to arrive and depart

Four of us will be arriving at Nice via train from Paris. I understand we could continue on the train to Villefrance, but would be faced with a large uphill with our luggage to get to our apartment. Would a taxi from Nice train station be outrageous?

We are leaving Villefrance in two groups. One pair is leaving on a Saturday morning at 0910 from Nice airport. Is it easy to get to the airport from Villefrance? The second group leaves on Sunday morning at 1105. I'd prefer not to have to pay for taxis both days!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

Taxi would be around 40 euro. Alternative would be to get the tram to Station J.C. Bermond and then bus 81 or 100 to Villefranche where you would get off at a much higher level than the train station, cost one euro each.

I often travel from Villefranche to the airport and get the train to Nice St Augustin, 2.5 euro. I then walk to the airport in about ten minutes but you can get bus 23 which goes to Terminal 1.

The address Villefranche covers a very wide area. If you let me know the name of the street I can tell you how difficult it will be to walk from the appropriate bus stop.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

Hi We are staying at Monte Carlo but fancy a trip to Villefrench - would we be best going by train or bus - also one of the party is not good walking up hills - so is this resort suitable or is it a large hill back to the train / bus station from the sea front. Thanks

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

Pricilla

There is a steep hill from sea level to the road when the buses depart from - however there is the possibility of bus number 80 up and down from the basse corniche to sea level , giving a much shorter walk from connecting with monaco bus.Or you could travel to and from Riquier train station using bus number 80

timetable here

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%2080%20(au%2012%2001%2012).pdf

There are flights of stairs up and down from the train station at villefranche

Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

Thanks very much for that - we might look maybe at getting a taxi as there are 4 of us. Steep hills are definetly out and as you mention quite a few steps at the station that also would not be very good.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

Bus 80, which runs roughly hourly between Nice Riquier station and Villefranche beach, is an adventure in itself. In a trip of around 40 minutes the bus traverses 42 severe bends on the narrow roads, with many parked cars and on coming traffic. Driving this route once would reduce me to a nervous wreck but when I used it recently the young driver, who spent much of the time on a hand held mobile, radiated relaxed contentment, as well as being remarkably polite in thanking all the pasengers for using the service. Remarquable!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

If all four of you are arriving together, it's probably reasonable for you to share a taxi...at least, that's what I would do, though the fare may be a bit more than 40 Euros. For your separate trips back to the airport, it appears that you are likely to have a downhill walk to the train station and that would be easier than uphill. I would get your bearings once you've arrived in VF and decide what's going to work for you at the end of your trip. The train won't take you directly to the airport, but you could take the train to the Nice Ville station and a bus from there to the airport, or take the train a bit further to the Nice St. Augustin station , the closest stop to the airport, and walk from there to the airport shuttle stop. We did the latter, but others might advise you that the Nice Ville stop might be better. If this seems like something you might consider, come back for the details.

I think you've got a good set of options laid out here, and since the travel in question will be at the end of your trip, you can decide once you get to Villefranche. Here is a link to the transportation info on the Nice airport website:

…aeroport.fr/Passengers/…Public-transports

Have a great trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

troggs - you have been so helpful. I have been reading and printing much of your info. (others are also helpful - thx). We are staying in Villefranche (May) in a condo on Blvd Sadi Carnot. All I have is 3rd floor Dina Palace. I have found the condo location on my google map but can't fine the bus and train stations. Can you suggest a map where I might see our walking distances? We are seniors but in good shape and like walking -except when it is really hot!!! Thx

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

JuniVancouver

The bus stops and train station are shown on the town plan.

Walking distances are more difficult because of the steep gradients.

You will see steps marked on the plan

www.villefranche-sur-mer.org/images/Plan.pdf

9. Re: Best way to arrive and depart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer