We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Bought a Times there yesterday for 3.25, gave the assistant a 4 euro note (I had no coins whatsoever), and was given 75c change.

When I asked for the other euro her English vanished, then the fliuent in English manager said that there was no 5 euro note in the till. I persisted, they shrugged, I gave up.

It's only a euro, and if it had been a simple error then no problem. But it is SO obvious that they are ripping off foreigners buying newspapers there by short-changing that I want to complain about them - would the tourist office take any notice?

This is the first such incident in 5 years of coming to VFSM, but it has really annoyed me.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Why didn't you hand back the paper and reclaim your 5 euro?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Because they wouldn't give me back the 5 euros, and only offered to give me back 3.25 euros.

I suppose that the worker in the shop could be the one short-changing (by accepting a 5, ringing up 4 euros, giving me 75 cents then taking the 1 euro out later (along with many others, I suspect)

But it was just so obvious that they are scamming, and brazenly.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

I would not have left the shop without my 5 euros. They could not complete the transaction and stole 1 euro from you. At this stage I would have called the police especially since the manager refused to give back your 1 euro.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

This is very common altho more usual when you just get change as if from 5 euro note if you have handed over 10 euro etc or 10 from 20 etc. Quite fine tuned at the newspaper kiosks in Cannes and especially lucrative during the Film Festival. Now here's a thing ( especially if you hand over large denomination notes) - remember the last four digits of the serial number.

Ed

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Ed, so you are saying theft and fraud is commonplace at newspaper shops?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

very odd - especially if you have been regularly buying stuff from the shop.

Either the assistant palmed the note [ criminal] or put it in the wrong place [accident or criminal] -i would be surprised if it was a scheme by the shop since its the first time it happened to you.

It would be a lot easier to do a scam like this when multiple items are purchased -so they are either inept or it was mistake

Unfortunately people all over the world will try and fleece other people -tourists or locals alike

Two taxi drivers -one mini cab, one black cab - tried to scam me in London yesterday -my family suggested i must have had a temporary ''try and scam me '' notice above my head

the black cab tried the -''you gave me a five and a ten '' dodge but I knew i'd given him a clydesdale bank tenner and an english tenner - oops what a silly mistake , hahahaha

the minicab took us from hotel to train station to dump our luggage and the driver told us the office had said the journey was 12 quid -he got 4 [ the hotel had called a cab since we were in an area away from likely black cab routes. I guess the driver thought we were numpties who did not know the area or likely cab costs - we were taking the cab the couple of minutes drive since my husband was recovering from a migraine]

Edited: 6:33 am, August 18, 2011
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Giving change for a smaller denomination note than was actually offered is commonplace all over the world.

Sometimes in error, sometimes deliberately.

Incidentally we have never encountered it at newspaper sellers in Cannes - at supermarkets yes where they insist on emptying the whole till and cashing up much to the inconvenience of everyone in the queue before countenancing a refund.

Rather than remembering digits on large notes, some people mark them

But in my experience it is very unusual to claim that coins were tendered rather than a note.

jeremymangu are you certain that you didn't hand over a 10 euro note rather than a 5 (they couldn't see a 5 euro note in the till)?

I can understand why you are annoyed . Villefranche depends on tourism ; the tourist office should be interested in the incident and will advise you what to do. They may also be aware of similar complaints.

Don't let it consume your holiday :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

I think I'd be interested in making a complaint to the villefranche sur mer tourist office if anyone has a link to that?

I'm also planning to pop back this afternoon to buy a times priced at 3.25 and just give them 2.25 and see what happens....

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

Yes NiceIralnde I am - and it has happened to me, altho I got my money back. Think about it - for those tourists/ conference attendees buying a UK or US paper - (a) won't know euro price (b) won't be familiar with euro notes or cash (c) wont be able to speak French ( d) self doubt - did I or didnt I (e) dont want to create an embarassing fuss - and most important of all - (e) most probably wont even realise they have been mugged.

Mind you it can happen in reverse too - I have been given change from a 20 when I handed over a 10. Did I remind the shop keeper of his mistake ? - I leave that up to you....

Ed

Edited: 7:19 am, August 18, 2011
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to complain about a shop (La Maison De Presse)

the tourist office is across the road from the newspaper shop

ot@villefranche-sur-mer.com

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer