We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to go and public transport

Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to go and public transport

Hi

Am going to Villefranche sur Mer in Aug 2011. Arriving at Nice Airport AT 9.30 pm on the 2nd and staying until the 9th. Can anyone tell me are trains/buses still running at this time? Am traveling with Wife,Son(12) Daughter (18) and daughters friend - so 5 of us in total. Am staying at the Hotel Provencal - How close is this hotel to Bus Stop and Train Station? Am also trying to fine out if there are boat trips one can take along the coast from VSM - not one that I would take out myself but one with 10-20-30 (whatever) people that would take us to Monaco - Cannes - Nice - etc etc.

Thanks

Denis

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Thanks very much for your report, Denis. I am glad your young son is recovering well. Quite a shocker. Altho a learner was involved you say on this occasion unfortunately the lack of respect shown for pedestrian crossings is probably the major road safety shortcoming most visitors to France will come across. This applies equally to mature drivers who should know better - a pregnant woman was run down in Antibes not long ago. In fact the laws relating to crossings are identical in France, Ireland and the UK. You will observe that when the gendarmes are positioned beside the crossing drivers can stop perfectly well.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Glad your boy was not more seriously hurt. I can not fathom the purpose of the "zebra crossing" in France, other than to assist a motorist in taking aim, whilst lulling their target into a false sense of security.

My motto on the roads in France, or elsewhere come to that, is "trust no-one". A prudent pedestrian is one who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Thanks Trogs / W.B.Loud-Glad / NiceLife for your good wishes for my son - I especially like NiceLife's comments !!. I notice that we have all gotten paranoid when crossing any road now and look left/right/up/down - everyway!!

My son is well - lying in bed with his Xbox and TV remote and calling one of us whenever he wants anything (and I do mean anything !! - to the extent that I told him the other day that if he calls me for another silly thing I will break his other $%^&* leg !!!)

Can anyone answer a question for me - I am looking at pictures taken during the holidays and there is one,taken from the Citadel in VSM looking across the Port de la Darse and there is an impressive house/Villa up on the hill behind it with turrets that looked impressive and I had meant to ask someone about it but forgot.Anyone know what it is - Is it a private Villa or small hotel or what?

Denis

Denis

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Glad to hear your son is doing ok

Is that the villa the one with the witch's hat looking turret ?

Edited: 5:15 pm, August 19, 2011
Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Hi SilkieNice

Yes that's the one

Denis

36. Re: Best places to go and public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 04, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer