We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

I booked this holiday villa Mazet des loup in Tourettes sur Loup, Vence. through www.holiday-rentals.co.uk. I based my choice on the beautiful photographs and glowing reviews the company illustrated on behalf of the owner Renee Presley.

My family arrived at the property on July16th 2011 for 2 weeks at the cost of 6,800 euros!! We found a run down property in need of complete renovation and a thorough clean. The owner’s photographs provided a misleading image of the standard of property advertised and one expected for the rental charged..

The property was tired with old furnishings, very dirty, mouse droppings in the lounge, cockroaches in one of the beds, cobwebs everywhere, no mop and bucket for floor cleaning( so the floors are very dirty), no showers in the main house ( only attachments on the bath). Broken and chipped crockery, cheap camping style cutlery, old kitchen units, woodworm in the bookshelves, filthy pool with broken sharp tiles etc. etc. We have collected photographic evidence of all our experiences.

I contacted both the owner Renee Presley and Holiday-Rentals.co.uk to ask for a fair refund, as they were completely overpricing this property which in my opinion is only 2 star rather than the 5 star rating they (personally!) give it. I wrote a review based on my experience but the company have chosen not to include it in their reviews, but instead have added one written by the owner and her guests (on the day of our departure!) who stayed there in June, once again applauding the virtues of how wonderful Mazet des Loup is.

This is false advertising and I would urge any interested parties to avoid renting this property.

Chapelle du Rosaire
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Art Museums, Churches & Cathedrals
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

Not posting unfavourable reviews is a huge problem in some of the apartment and villa rental sites IMO.

It can also mean that unscrupulous people can use this as a means of scamming prospective renters .

san francisco
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

I would also post this on slow travel,where there tons of reviews of rentals, when someone is searching fo reviews of that property it will come up there.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

I stay here recently with friend who had hired this villa for 2 weeks. It was my understanding from my friend and from the website that this is suppose to be a luxury villa. This is far from true,!!!! On arrive the Villa is by no means clean, there was mouse droppings on the lounge area floor and dead cockroaches found in bed linen drapping on the floor !!!! and the place has an overall worn and dirtyness to it. The kitchen is very grimmy looking and has cutlery that would be best used on a campsite and no matching or full sets of clean looking crockery. It is impossible to have a shower in the Villa as the shower heads are not fixed to the walls so you have to hold them overhead whilst dodging the very grimmy looking shower curtains or tiled mildewy walls !!!

The Pool area is a dangerous area with diry, uneven and jagged tiles in and out of the pool and the pool furniture is all very worn and broken. The supposible specatacular garden is totally over grown and is more alike a jungled area.

All in all this Villa is nothing as described and by no means has any value for money, and I would advise anyone to give a very wide berth

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

This is a common problem with holiday-rentals.co as they take no responsibility for the accuracy of their information. I know someone who has a studio which they advertise on HR as a one bed flat. Reviews on most websites mean nothing as they can easily be written by the owners. The advantage of TA is that you can check if people have reviewed other properties and have what seen to be genuine opinions. My advice is to rent places owned by people who speak your native language and who are pleasant and helpful in responding to requests for further information.

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

Just back from Mazet des Loups and agree with above reviews...wish we had read them before we went. Spent our first week of holiday in a luxury villa in Tuscany and were gutted to find the condition of Mazet des Loups when we arrived...and for the same price of 3400 euro...total rip-off. Not impressed and can't recommend it...the website is not a fair reflection at all.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

I have never seen this agency discussed on TA, but our experience has been very good with In Lux:

http://www.inlux.ch/

We know other travelers who have occupied apartments rented through In Lux, and everyone seems pretty happy with the company's representation of their properties and their service. Our particular apartment does not appear on this website, but we were so satisfied with last year's experience that we're staying there again when we return for a convention in the fall.

Sorry this doesn't help the OP with their issues, but maybe it can help for future travels. I agree that you should post your comments in the Reviews section where opinions remain a bit more permanent than "coming and going" as they do on forums.

Edited: 8:04 pm, August 25, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

This is by no means a reflection about corrieorrie's experience with Mazet de Loups, but after years of hits and misses, I have learned to look for pictures of kitchens and baths. Property upkeep and condition are often reflected in these shots and their absence is usually very telling. Exterior pictures are good but can be misleading, and living spaces can be made to look good with the proper staging (a la' HGTV).

Relying on photos is good if the pictures are honest, and that's why I look for travelers' photos and frequent posters' reviews on TA. I look for kitchens and baths in vacation rentals and baths in hotels. Professional shots are helpful, but not always accurate. As an example, I relied on TA today when choosing stopping points for my drive from Kentucky to the Rhode Island shore with my two Scottish Terriers. The girls and I will be traveling alone, and using TA has made me feel a bit more confident that I didn't make choices that could have made me uncomfortable. I avoided some mistakes had I just used a web search.

All said, my favorite vacation rental is a pet friendly oceanfront beach house in Pawleys Island, South Carolina with less than desirable kitchen and baths. It's our home away from home, and you can't always be sure no matter how much effort you put into your research. Whatever...

Edited: 10:05 pm, August 25, 2011
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

The site Troggs mentions is an agency with the attendant fees.

Holiday Rentals is merely a listing site that both individual owners and agencies use and it has thousands of properties on the Cote d'Azur. It does seem to offer a limited rental guarantee against internet fraud though.

As an aside, I noticed that Holiday-Rentals. recently seems to have come up with some new, more specific locations in the centre of Cannes and Nice and possibly elsewhere.

Unfortunately, (in Cannes anyway), geography/map reading does not seem to be a strong point - they have made a really terrible job of correctly classifying properties according to their (Holiday-Rentals) newly defined specific areas.

At the moment , it can be extremely misleading if you search for properties by specific location in Cannes, or rely on where Holiday Rentals seems to think a property is situated.

Be especially careful to check the true location of any property listed under "Centre ville- Croisette" . The last time I looked, apartments and villas as far distant as Mandelieu la Napoule, Le Cannet, Super Cannes and all areas in between were inaccurately being described by Holiday-Rentals as centre of town near the Croisette.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

SOOOZ- like the'Cap d'Antibes' the Croisette obviously has that wonderful quality of expanding its geographical area at will.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware - Mazet des Loups, Tourettes-sur-Loup

Ed,

LOL

This is something new though- not the fault of the owners' own loose descriptions, as far as I can tell, rather lazy staff at Holiday-Rentals misplacing properties and misleading potential renters