We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

Denbigh, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

Can anyone tell me the best option for transfers from Nice Airport to Saint Maxime. We are travelling mid August, arrival at Nice 10.45am, party size 4 adults 4 children.

Thank you.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

I'd honestly recommend seeing if you can hire a vehicle big enough for the whole party, or 2 cars.

Otherwise, unless you want 2 x taxis at €200 or so each one way, or can find a mini-bus service of a sort which I've never seen mentioned on this forum, the best bet is probably

(1) the express bus 3003 to St Raphael:

varlib.fr/…203003.pdf

The single fare has just gone up to €20 person single (with no child reduction, it seems)

(2) regular buses nos 7601 & 7702 from St Raphael to Ste Maxime

www.varlib.fr//ftp/FR_lignes/7601bd.pdf

varlib.fr/…202013.pdf

The fare is now €3 per person one way

Instead of a bus, you can catch a train from Nice to St Raphael, at a cost which is about half the bus fare for adults and child concessions are available. But you have first to get yourself to a station. The main Nice-Ville station is a bus or taxi-ride away. The small St Augustin station is walkable from Terminal 1 at the airport. There's a link to an access map on this page on the Nice Airport website, and also hints on how the inter-terminal shuttle bus or a local bus can cut the distance you have to walk.

…aeroport.fr/Passengers/…Trains

Keep scrolling down to find the right place to click.

The train timetable is here

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/Fiche_03_s…

You buy tickets from Nice Airport to St Raphael, whether for the bus or the train, at the bus ticket offices located just outside each of the two airport terminals.

At St Raphael, the bus station is next to the rear entrance of the railway station. You can pay the bus driver for the tickets from St Raphael to Ste Maxime but there is also a staffed ticket office which is best if you need change for a big note.

Denbigh, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

Thank you very much for the accurate and prompt reply!!!!

As you say, it may br best for us to hire 2 cars, even though the males in the party do not feel very confident to drive in France, it may well be our cheapest options!!!!

Any tips on tackling the motorways?

Thanks again

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

The car hire places are at Terminal 2. The exit from them by car is onto a one-way stretch of road to start with. You then follow the blue signs to the motorway A8 for about 1km. There's a roundabout at the top of the entry ramp where you want the 3rd exit signposted Antibes/Marseille (don't take the 2nd exit signposted Genes/Monaco). Personally, in lhd countries I don't find driving particulary difficult on any road where there's other traffic around. That includes motorways. More danger, I think, comes when there is no other traffic visible at crossroads or roundabouts and UK drivers instinctively head off in their default (wrong) direction.

The one feature of French motorways that is different from the UK is the tolls. Avoid lanes marked with a red "X" (obviously) and also lanes marked with an orange "t" just on its own. It's for an automated payment system which hire cars don't have. Any lane marked with a green arrow (even if it's also got an orange "t") should accept a Visa or Mastercard chip and pin credit card ( but debit cards can be a problem). You don't need to enter a PIN. If you have the right money, you can also toss coins in a basket. There are fewer and fewer manned booths with a person in them to give change. If you can find one, that's possibly simplest. But the replacement machines which give change are, I think, better avoided.

The first toll out of Nice comes after about 10km at Antibes. The toll (subject to correction) is €2.90.Once you've negotiated that, the next toll is as you exit the motorway (another €2.90). Take exit 38 signposted Frejus. Follow signs to Frejus initially but don't go into the centre. As soon as you see St Tropez signposted that's the way to go. If you have a satnav, this is the way I hope it will send you. Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Polmont, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous writer. We stayed in Cogolin just outside St Tropez and a car was by far the best option. So many places to explore and enjoy, but by far our favourite resort is St Maxime. Lovely beach and plenty of shops to browse without the high prices of St Trop. Driving is easy as long as you concentrate on what you're doing. Roundabouts are the more difficult but on your journey because of the good roads you shouldn't have too many problems remembering to go right around instead of left around! The traffic is so busy you won't have to fear mad and fast drivers. Everything will be slow and steady so enjoy yourselves. By the way, if you want a cheap meal, head towards St Trop and stop at a place called Cogolin where you'll find a large supermarket. At the other end of the car park is a Macdonalds, and next door to that is a Restaurant offering large portions at reasonable prices. When we were there the queue for Macdonalds was out the door, and there was hardly anyone in the restaurant. We are going back again in July and our first stop for a meal will be here (orders from my boys). Have a nice holiday, St Maxime is great.

5. Re: Nice Airport to Saint Maxime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 24, 2014