We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

Hello, we are flying in to Nice from Paris early September and are going directly down to St. Tropez for a few days, then returning to Nice for a few days. What's the best way to get to Nice from St. Tropez? Is there a train? if possible, we'd like to avoid renting a car. Can we hire a driver to bring us there and back? Does not matter if it's not the same driver. Can we go by boat? Approximately how long will it take to get there? any/all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

No you can't get a train from St Tropez to Nice because about half way between the twothe railway turns inland at St Raphael to Les Arc, skirting around the mountains, leaving the only access to the St Trpez area by road sea, or helicopter

Of course you can hire a car and drive between the two but that has its own issues

Selected days in Summer there is a daily single boat between St Tropez and Nice - quai Lunel Nice Port

However my preferred solution is frequent rail connection between Nice and St Raphael and a 50 minute fairly frequent boat between St Raphael and St Tropez.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

NiceLife- You mentioned taking a train from Nice to St. Raphael, then a boat to St. Tropez. Sounds like a plan, but i have a few questions.

#1) Is the train station in Nice near the Nice airport? How far and do you know how we get from the AP to the train station?

#2) should we book train tickets in advance to St. Raphael and if so, do you know if there is a webstie where we can book them?

#3) How long does the train journey between Nice and St. Raphael take?

#4) Once we get to St. Raphael, does it drop us off near the boats?

#5) do you know the name of the boat service we take to St. Tropez?

#6) Should we buy boat tickets in advance and if so, do you know if there is a website where we can do that?

thanks so much for any help and advice you can give!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

#1 Nice airport is around 6km west of Nice centre and the main railway connection Nice Gare Ville. Whilst there is a small suburban railway stop at Nice St Augustin the main longer distance trains dont stop at it and you are lucky to get more than one an hour there, so cancell that idea - take the express coach 99 direct to the Nice railway station SNCF

#2 No need to book in advance - the catch is the ticket buying process can take quite some time when its busy You can order on line - SNCF have a website - not tried it.

#3Nice St Raphael is allow an hour / hour and a half

#4You have to walk from the railway station to the old port - its not far as I recall

#5 The boat service is on line - its called Les Bateaux de St Raphael

#5You buy tickets at their office at the port - its no problem. Their website is www.tmr-saintraphael.com

Other transport tips are on my VT pages if thats of any further help. Ive done a note on the SNCF booking hall in Nice - service is grim!

members.virtualtourist.com/m/6cdeb/188b0/9/

Go St Tropez!

Cheers

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

There is an SNCF Boutique where you can buy tickets at 2 rue de la Liberté near the intersection with ave. Jean Medecin in Nice. Open 09:30-18:30 except Sundays. You can avoid the "grim" booking hall by using it. Alternatively you could buy your train tickets in Paris at any main-line station, including the one at CDG, or at any SNCF boutique there.

If you want to pre-purchase your tickets online, go to www.voyages-sncf.com. You may have the option of printing your tickets or picking them up at any station or SNCF boutique. This excellent guide by MorganB will help with the booking process:

http://tinyurl.com/qpdef

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

Thx for the boutique tip - we'll see how it helps

Cheers

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

NiceLife -

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to have come up with a tip for Nice that is new to you. I'm going to go pour myself three fingers of the best single malt Scotch I've got to celebrate!

PS: Let us know if it works...

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Transportation from Nice to St. Tropez and back

Don't let it go to your head ,oirish (LOL)

I'm more worried now about getting away from Gatwick right now than getting anywhere else. They'll be having us travel stark naked next - not a pretty sight!