We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone tarrifs

Manchester, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Mobile phone tarrifs

Hi All,

My parents have just purchased a property in La Rouillère near St. Tropez and they are contemplating buying a french sim card (each) to allow them to contact each other when they are out and about in France. Also, my concern is that they're French is a little iffy so ideally it would be good if they you knew of an english-friendly network...long shot but worth asking.

Please, if any of you have any advice or suggestions with regards to tarrifs, where to buy the sim cards, etc please get in touch.

Thank you,

Andy

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone tarrifs

If they both have unlocked, GSM mobile phones, capable of operating on the 900/1800mHz bands, you might look into asking for (which is free) or purchasing (at 10€ including 7.50€ talk credit) two Lebara SIMs.

You can change the default language to English if you like, French SIMs all have free inbound calls, Lebara to Lebara outbound calls have no minute usage charge (yes, that´s 0.00€ per minute). Calls to North America are 0.01€ per minute with a 0.15€ connect fee.

To have Lebara SIMs sent to you for free:

www..lebara.fr (this site is in French)

___

Here are several links with more information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k45420…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k47673…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k53338…

Edited: 12:23 pm, September 18, 2012
Manchester, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone tarrifs

That's much appreciated, thank you very much.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone tarrifs

I suggest you do that on arrival at the airport where people are more likely to speak english.....

The other alternative will be to buy a french phone with some credit in any tabac place. Simple and easy. But it calling a US phone from a French phone, still will cost you quite a lot...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone tarrifs

Using a French Lebara SIM calling from within France, rates to US phone numbers (.01€ per minute/.15€ per connection) are significantly less than those to French numbers, mobile or land line (.15€ per minute/.15€ per connection).

www.lebara.fr

Edited: 9:04 am, September 19, 2012
5. Re: Mobile phone tarrifs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 13, 2013