We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Liverpool, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Hi, I'm staying in Cannes for a week in June and would love to visit Club 55 @ Pampelonne Beach. Can anyone please advise how to get there. I can see you can catch a ferry from Cannes but how far is it then to Pampelonne Beach? Is it easy to catch a cab from the port? Help very much appreciated! Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
7 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Cabs are usually available in port at st tropez, quite expensive but on other hand it's not very far from there to Club 55.

As you come into the port on the ferry, look straight towards town you will see hotel sube, cab rank is approx 100 yards to the right of that.

Liverpool, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

We are also going there from Cannes and I shared the same concern. I e-mailed the St. Tropez tourism they still didn't really specify exactly where to get a taxi and I'd be curious to know how much it is and how long it would take. Here is their response: You will arrived on the new port, which is 5 minutes walking from the city center. To go to Pampelone’s beaches you will have to catch a bus or to go by cab.To know the timetables you can call the bus company at the 08.10.00.61.77.To call a taxi, please call this number: 04.94.97.05.27.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Liverpool, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Hi there, in the end we got the ferry from Cannes to St Tropez port which was €42 return each. We then walked from the port to the town centre (5 mins) and took a cab from outside Hotel Sube (you can clearly see the Hotel so not difficult to find). The cab took around 10 mins to get to Pampelonne Beach and cost €30 each way so quite expensive! We had lunch at Club 55 and they rang the taxi company on our behalf and we then waitied outside for it to pick us up and take us back the port. Again it was another €30. I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Hotel Sube
Hotel Sube
80 Reviews
Saint-Tropez, France
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Thanks so much...that's a big help! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Did you like Club 55? How expensive was it? (To bad the taxi didn't serve sandwiches for that price!)

Liverpool, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Hi again, too be honest, didnt rate Club 55 at all. Glad I went just to see what all the fuss is about, but would I go back - no way! Over priced for below average food. As you can imagine it was expensive. For two of us, the bill came to €145. We had 2 starters, 2 mains and shared a desert with a bottle of the house rose. In Cannes, we had the same in numerous resturants but for €80-€100 and the standard of food was far superior! So you are defintely paying a premium for dining at 'Club 55'!!! St Tropez port its self it worth a visit, it really is lovely. Pampelonne Beach from what I saw of it is vastly over-rated. I guess it's personal preference though, as some reviews for Club 55 and Pampelonne are excellent. Just for reference we area couple in our mid 30's and enjoy fine food. Hope you enjoy your holiday, let me know if I can help with anything else. Love, Deb x

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

If anyone is researching how to take the bus to Pampelonne Beach I have some resources for you! Since it's not in St. Tropez but rather ramatuelle, you need to contact their tourism office with questions at http://www.ramatuelle-tourisme.com/. They were EXTREMELY helpful and gave us the link to the bus schedule: varlib.fr What you're looking for is the bus from St. Tropez to Blvd. Patch. So here's what we did: The ferry from Cannes arrives at the New Dock (Quai). If do a google earth type map you'll see the new docks and should also be able to see the bus stop. Just walk up the dock, continue straight toward town and it is ever so slightly to your right. A very short walk. There is a free, minimal restroom there and you will most likely need to wait 20 mins or so for the bus. The driver was very helpful, just let him know Blvd. Patch. The ride was inexpensive, maybe 2-4 euro each? it says on website and was a lovely little ride along the vineyards. He made one stop before Blvd Patch and it's not listed on the schedule so I think perhaps it stops on request. Unfortunately some confused travelers asked "Plage? Beach? and he said yes. I could see a beach so I don't know if that's the far end of the beach or not but the blvd patch stop puts you right in the middle of this 3 mile stretch of beach right between Cap 21 beach club and Club 55. When you arrive at the stop simply walk down the road, you can see the beach at the bottom. The tourist bureau said 700 meters. It was a bit of a walk. When I google earthed the address varlib gave it is actually farther than that. We found out why on the return. It looks like about halfway down this road there is a circle that used to be the bus stop right outside a small convenience store. The bus no longer picks up there, though, you really do have to walk all the way back up the hill to where you got off! The bus ran on schedule. On the way to pick us back up he arrived a few minutes ahead but actually sat there until the scheduled time before moving on. We found it to be pretty easy and extremely inexpensive compared to a cab. However, the buses are very infrequent so you really do have to watch how long you want to be at the beach. One option is to take the bus there and catch a cab back. There aren't cabs readily there so you'd need to have one of the beach clubs call for you. When you walk down the road to the beach it will put you right on a public section and you can walk north or south along the water to pick a beach club if you want one or just spread a towel out in the sand on one of the many public spots. Plenty of snack bars on the side of each beach club so you can do this on a budget if you wish. We spent about an hour and a half at the beach, took the bus back and then walked around the Old Port. I highly recommend the old port, it was wonderful! Pampelonne beach, on the otherhand was one of those things I felt I just had to do while in St. Tropez but yet was just a beach. Even though it was a short visit at the beach and the port I'm glad I got to experience both.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Personally, I like Pampelonne beach - a long straight stretch of sand between two headlands. But getting there by bus is really only possible in high summer. The route number is 7705 and the Varlib website says that it will next operate between 7 July and 2 September 2012. Meanwhile, hiring a car, a taxi or a long walk look like being the only options.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Pampelonne Beach

Good info papluviose! Pampelonne is a very nice beach. Sorry, that was a silly thing to say that it's "just a beach" It's a great stretch of sand and very pretty views to both ends. We're so spoiled here in the US to have all the gorgeous Florida and East Coast beaches that are long stretches of sand like Pampelonne, so to me it was just another beach like home I guess. I was more intrigued just for variety with the pebbled beaches in Nice and all the little cove type beaches along the Riviera. We're definitely glad we went.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States