We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Nice

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Nice

Hi

I'm visiting Nice from Monday 6th to Friday. I would like to take train to Monaco on Tuesday and to Cannes on wednesday. Any advice? We are staying at Hotel Comte de Nice which is near the train station I believe. Any tips on getting the train? Do you think they will be frequent and easy to work out?? Do you buy a return ticket? Also, would it be wise to stop off at e.g Antibes on the way to or back from Cannes. thank you

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Hotel Comte de Nice
Hotel Comte de Nice
784 Reviews
Nice, France
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
167 Reviews
from $98.70*
Free Cancellation
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
654 Reviews
from $105.80*
Free Cancellation
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
417 Reviews
from $128.40*
Free Cancellation
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,528 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Nice

There are trains every 30 minutes in both directions along the coast. There are no return tickets, but you can buy two one-way tickets.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Nice

Just returned from 10 days in Nice. Trains run every 20 minutes and a "return" ticket can be purchased.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Nice

Easy to use ,most travellers this time of year outside rush hour are tourists. Buy a ticket say to Cannes get off at Antibes with no extra charge.Ditto Monaco and Villefranche. Just validate your ticket in the yellow machine each time you re-board.

You can also buy a go-anywhere in a day pass (Zou Pass) for 15 euro.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Nice

There are ongoing strikes by train personnel against their employer, SNCF, and simultaneously separate protests against a proposed national labour law affecting industry. Since early in May, these actions have significantly reduced the number and frequency of France's trains including the ones that service cities along and near this coast. Consult the trip planner (in English or French, both linked below) for which scheduled trains are available before you go to a train station to take a train on any day.

Normal service of every so many minutes should not be assumed or anticipated over the month of June. As of June 1, more days of the week have been impacted by these strikes besides just the Wednesdays and Thursdays which had been mostly the case during May. Now in June, they can occur on any day(s) of the week. Reduced train schedules aren't announced to the public until 2 evenings before they occur or even the night before. I check online for which trains I can take the day before a day away, again around 8pm that night and again early the morning of my trip.

There is also the alternative of using the inter-city buses rather than a train. Travelling east of Nice, this has been fine, but westward it delayed us for hours. (But then so can the trains!) On days of a national protest against the proposed labour law, service on buses has been much reduced as well as on the trains.

sncf.com/en/…animation-1

http://www.sncf.com/fr/horaires-info-trafic

Nice, France
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Nice

The train service that you'll need to check for travelling to both Canne and Monaco is line 8 Les Arcs - Grasse - Cannes - Nice - Vintimille

Roughly 1 in 2 trains are running, but you can check it out daily on …sncf.com/paca/…info-trafic-greve-sncf-ter

The bus strikes have been completely resolved - for now anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Grasse
Grasse
Cannes
Cannes
Nice, France
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Nice

Apologies! Lignes d'azur was very late in posting its information today, and rumours suggested the bus strike had been resolved. But...

The bus strike is still on and affecting services around the airport

However, travelling to Monaco by bus is still an option.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Nice

Thank you everyone for all that fabulous information.

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Nice

<There are trains every 30 minutes in both directions along the coast. There are no return tickets, but you can buy two one-way tickets.>

What's an aller retour then?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Nice

"What's an aller retour then?"

2 single tickets.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Nice

Buying a ticket is the least of your worries. I'm getting conflicting information that some transport strikes are resolved, other strikes (by some staff) are on-going.

Air Traffic Controllers seem to have been cosy-ed up to by the Transport Minister, talk of long term agreement, but I see Tuesday 14th June is still being touted as a National Strike day including Air Traffic Control.

Advance warning notice (preavis) of strike is given as legally required, then lifted, or not, at on a whim, invalidating the whole purpose of notice. SNCF trains website information has been particularly unreliable of late.

I don't think there is any reliable source of information on-line.The only way to really know what services are running is to present yourself on the ground and check things out for yourself. Turn up at Nice Gare Ville and see what trains on the departure boards, with platform allocated, are actully running, then make a judgement whether you want to travel. Not very encouraging, but it is the way things are right now.