We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do i get the bus 98

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where do i get the bus 98

hi could anyone tell me where the no 98 bus stop is in nice airport please? I think we are going into terminal 1, should i buy a bus ticket at terminal, if so where abouts is the bus ticket office, and do i validate it before use? I have been trying to find detailed map of airport , but cant seem to find one. Thankyou.

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

You can buy a ticket in the ticket office, it is on your left hand side as you exit terminal 1. The buses will be just outside the exit door also, you can't miss them as there will be a queue waiting for them

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago and was told that the 99 & 98 buses have been on strike for quite a while???

Looked at the website lignesdazur but the details of the strike are only in the French version so I don't have any updates.

Maybe someone else can clarify the current situation.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Just read the last news on Ligne d''azur website. Bus 98/99 still announced on strike for Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th of June. Not yet defined for next week.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Does the strike mean there are no buses running to/from the airport? Or just less frequently?

If no bus, what is the expected price for taxi vs. Uber? I will be traveling this weekend with flight at 9:30 am.

Thanks in advance.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Information about whether the 98 + 99 is provided on the ligne d'azur website just under 24 hours in advance. Neither is running this Saturday.

Taxi fare is around 30- 40€ depending on where you're going

For Uber - https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Uber-X-Nice-France&from=A%C3%A9roport+Nice+C%C3%B4te+d%27Azur%2C+Nice%2C+France&to=Op%C3%A9ra+de+Nice+C%C3%B4te+d%E2%80%99Azur%2C+Nice%2C+France&fromCoord=43.6597689,7.214821400000005&toCoord=43.69548469999999,7.272542299999941

Mentioned in this post
Nice
Nice
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
France
France
Europe
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Unfortunately the situation is not as simple as buses (98/99) being on strike/ not on strike. It all depends on how many of the drivers turn up for work, which day of the week, it is, and time of day, and there is an element of bluff on the part of the unions declaring things that don't in the final event happen.

The management of Lignes d'Azur seem to think their job is warning people about the lack of service rather than providing it. The current situation remains fluid, you can watch the websites, but my experience on the ground is that flipping a coin can be more accurate.

In the first instance, if you are coming in to T2, get the free navette to T1. T1 gives you much better travel options. If you are travelling late at night, think taxi. If you are travelling daytime, there are public buses to Nice centre (59 and 70) still running fairly normally from Airport Promenade stop a short walk from T1. Or they were last week. Like I said, it's fluid.

There is a statutory "service minimal" which means some run, may be one in three or four. I dont recommend waiting, check out what is happening, and if it doesn't look promising, shell out for a taxi. It's only money.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

How about from Nice to the airport? Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

All depends on the day of the week and the time of day, which you haven't given us. Getting to the airport for specific flight time is a journey where you can't trust to luck and risk missing a flight.

Personaly I wallk from Nice to the airport, a pleasant and easy 1 hour 15 minutes, with small wheely case. No everyone's cup of tea, but it is 100% guaranteed.

If that doesn't appeal, and you need certainty of arrival time, I would start from the bus stop for the 98/99 close to the Mercure Promenade des Anglais. If one doesn't turn up within 15 minutes, I would walk back around the corner outside the Meridien Hotel where there is a cab rank.

There are lots of other ways, like train (if they are running!) one stop from Nice Gare Ville to Nice St Augustin station, which is off-airport T1, or you can wing it on local buses 59 or 70, but each of these are for travellers more familiar with local conditions, ticketing, and less certain time-wise.

Edited: 1:27 am, June 05, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Mercure Nice Promenade des Anglais
Mercure Nice Promenade...
2,115 Reviews
Nice, France
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Hi NiceLife,

Read on the forum that taxis can be a bit of a pain, same as everywhere in cities in the World. They have said on the forum that they try to overcharge and that the correct amount should be around 35 euros. A few people have written that they had to argue before getting the charge down to that amount. Don't fancy starting our holiday off with a bit of argy bargy in the cab - so are there cabs that are more regulated? Unfortunately we will be arriving/or maybe not arriving on the 14th which is supposed to be a National Strike Day!!! What's our chances of getting a cab? Don't fancy the walk with a bit more luggage than you take.

Thanks for your posts - very useful.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do i get the bus 98

Taxis in some parts of the world can be cowboys but in France they are a licensed and highly regulated trade. They pay an exhorbitant fee for the right to work the airport rank, several hundred thousand euro. Therefore it is expensive ride for such a short distance, but there are set tariffs for the town/airport journey. This has small supplements for odd things like fourth passenger surcharge, extra luggage, time of night, but these are minor adjustments and you can expect a figure around €35 to Nice in normal hours, a tad more outside.

The few times I have used taxis the driver has been unfailingly courteous, and something of an ambassador for the city, and their limo's are spotless. Act like you know the tarrif, and you are in pretty safe hands.

They work the taxi rank in strict turn, and don't compete with each other or negotiate the fare. They are militantly anti-uber, so I have seen them on strike too, blocading the airport, in protest against what they consider unfair competition.

Transport is a hassle right now because their unions are slugging it out with the government's labour "reforms" so you need to be a bit resourceful to get around. But things have never worked well here even in the best of times!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe