We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Kent
Level Contributor
393 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to maybe move to Nice beginning of May to early July to learn French.

I'd love to mix with French people and learn the language outside my classes, but I would also like a place where there could be people who understand English. I'd be worried about not meeting people and being alone for a month due to my little French knowledge, so would like some people who understand English (not saying they have to be English). Are there clubs that are for instance, tennis clubs or just speaking clubs in the city? I'm 22 for age reference, looking for people roughly my age, so please no retirees clubs haha!

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Many people in the region speak English as they get a lot of English-speaking tourists there. Many young English-speaking tourists frequent Ma Nolan's and Wayne's bar in the old town.

Mentioned in this post
Wayne's Bar
Wayne's Bar
619 Reviews
Nice, France
aberdeen
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

As a retiree, I am probably outside of your world; however. you might still want to consider one or two of the Meetup Groups that are active in Nice; they usual consist ofa mix of English and French speakers.

The average age group is generally older than you ( but then again just about all adults are!).

http://www.meetup.com/cities/fr/nice/events/

PS Some of us retirees even manage to get out of the house to join in!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Hi Josh. Outside of Paris, Nice has the highest English speaking population in France so you wont have to worry. What are your interests? Where do you plan on learning French? I would say there are enough English speakers here that you will be able to focus your attention on your interest and find people that way. Most twenty something English speakers hang out at Wayne's Bar or Master Home (located next to each other). If you grab a beer there you will find people just like you. Also, Ma Nolan's pub is filled with English speakers. Have fun and let me know if you need any more specific pointers.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Wayne's Bar
Wayne's Bar
619 Reviews
Nice, France
Master Home
Master Home
231 Reviews
Nice, France
Kent
Level Contributor
393 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

jtpj777 - I have actually considered a meetup group, I took a look on their site a few weeks ago but couldn't find many that actually had any meetings scheduled or that didn't last 'meet up' over a year ago - I thought it was a bit of a shame as they seem relatively inactive compared with other French cities! That link however you provided does show some more, thank you.

I have quite a few interests - mainly travelling and art. Not big on sports past basketball so that always is a problem in Europe haha! I would like any type of club really as long as the members can understand either English or basic French. The sort of clubs I would take an interest in attending are tennis, astronomy, basketball, things like crossfit perhaps, through to art classes of some kind.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
aberdeen
Level Contributor
604 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Josh,

meetup.com/hangout-nice/events/227594534/…

http://www.meetup.com/rivieraceilidhclub/

meetup.com/French-Riviera-Hiking-Meetup/…

www.meetup.com/hangout-nice/events/227813329/

Just a sample: hope they are of some use.

Kent
Level Contributor
393 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

Thank you for those links! I have researched a bit more on that site now and found a few more options.

7. Re: Are there many English people or English speaking clubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2017