We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice by train from Italy

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice by train from Italy

I am confused. In looking at all the rail maps, I thought I would be able to take a train from Florence to Nice, FR., even though I knew it would be an approx. 8 hour trip. But looking at raileurope, I am concerned this is not possible. Any suggestions, please, on where to look for information.

Mille Grazzi.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice by train from Italy

Go to

-- www.TrenItalia.com --

-- www.SNCF.com --

-- www.Bahn.de --

work
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice by train from Italy

Try Railconnection.com I have found it quite useful in planning my trip. You are able to enter two cities and it will show you all the different ways to get there, how long it will take and how much it will cost.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice by train from Italy

With RailEurope I have found that you often have to enter a connecting city. Look at a map and see a possible connection. Try Genoa or Pisa. A great rail site I like is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e.

Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice by train from Italy

Thank you for your help. TrenItalia.com even indicates that there is now a special Riviera train from Milan and Naples. So providing it is not filled to capacity with gamblers, I will probably try that route.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice by train from Italy

Just a word on purchasing train tickets in Europe. Raileurope is definitely not the most economical way to do this!

For example a trip from Paris to Arles on May 10 and return on May 17 will cost a minimum of $244 if booked today through Raileurope. Booked direct at www.sncf.com, the same trip cost me 49.80 Euros, or about one-third the price! (Both prices include seat reservations.)

I have booked tickets in France, Germany, Belgium and Italy online with no problem. You either print your own ticket after paying by credit card or print a voucher which you exchange for your ticket at any mainline train station when you arrive.

Buon viaggio!

Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice by train from Italy

Irishrovr: Ahh... about Eurorail and SNF and Trenitalia... exactly what I've already started to see just by playing online with various trip scenarios. Thank you for confirming that.

One more question, sil vous plait, do you by online at home before you leave for Europe? Or buy online at some cyber cafe (that sort of worries me) or via your own personal computer when you get to France or Italy or wherever...??? Please pardon my ignorance. I didn't think some of these could be purchased until you were in Europe. Merci.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice by train from Italy

I buy tickets as early as I can online from home. The longer you wait the more you will probably pay. I just ran a quick check on sncf.com. The approx 50 Euros I spent for an advance-purchase RT from Paris to Avignon in May would be about 120 Euros if you wanted to travel next week, and 150 Euros for a more or less last minute purchase. Still less than Eurorail's lowest price, even at that. If you can plan far enough ahead you can get the price down to as low as 38 Euros, saving about $200 versus Eurorail!

I've been able to buy any ticket I wanted in Europe this way at a considerable savings, including tickets for international trains.

Also there are discounts available on many European rail systems that Eurorail does not offer. The downside of course is that you need to be able to navigate some rather complicated processes in the language of the country you are travelling in, but you can save big chunks of money for other things. And of course the cheapest tickets are non-refundable, etc.

Bonne chance!

Novato, CA
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice by train from Italy

When I traveled from Florence to Nice years ago, I had to go back thru Rome. Then we took the night train, with a sleeper car and it was quite an adventure. You also gain an extra day of trip by traveling at night.