We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Tropez worth the trip?

Toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
St Tropez worth the trip?

Spending 6 days in Antibes in early June and want to visit nice, Cannes, eze, St. Paul de Vence. Just wondering if st tropez worth the trip or should I spend more time in these other places? Let me know if I should add anything to my list, I left out Monaco because I heard it isn't worth it.

Help please, also do you just spend a couple of hours in eze and St. Paul?

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Cannes
Cannes
St-Paul-de-Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

Let me begin from the bottom up. Eze village...perhaps 2 hours, St-Paul the same. Nice: at least an entire day; Cannes, half a day.

I'm not a big fan of St-Tropez, aside from the excellent art museum. So I would skip St-Tropez in favor of Antibes, Villefranche-sur-Mer, and St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. St-Jean is a beautiful peninsula, with homes of the rich and famous hidden behind gates and the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild mansion and 7 different gardens to walk through.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Antibes
Antibes
Villefranche-sur-Mer
Villefranche-sur-Mer
St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

I really like St. Tropez but you need to stay overnight. It is too hectic as a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

Yes. The beautiful peninsula of St. Tropez with its famous beaches, the coast, the well-known village, Ramatuelle and Gassin is worth the trip.

Really, there is an art-museum in St. Tropez? Never missed it...

BTW. The name of that other peninsula is "Cap Ferrat", the name of the village is "St.-Jean-Cap-Ferrat" with full name.

Edited: 2:06 pm, April 27, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Ramatuelle
Ramatuelle
Saint-Tropez, France
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

And one of my fave restaurants on the peninsula is in Gassin! If you end up staying overnight, do dine at La Verdoyante http://la-verdoyante.fr/. Wonderful but do check re closing days.

Mentioned in this post
La Verdoyante
La Verdoyante
375 Reviews
Gassin, France
Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

Anna-Roz: Since many years its my favourite restaurant on the peninsula, too. Love the terrace and the soup de poisson. With a car you can return to Nice after dinner (1h15 at night).

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

tplus, I can HARDLY believe my eyes that we (you and I) have so much incommon and now agree on TWO restaurants being worthy of our hard-earned Euro!! (Safari being the other one) And G-d knows it - there may be more!! :)

Yes, fantastic restaurants, setting, food, hosts, etc. We have not tried dining there while based in Nice but I can see now that it is possible, as long as one of us sticks to only one glass of wine.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

It is also really nice at lunchtime. I love the terrace and drinking wine that you can just reach out and touch the grapes that made it. The restaurant has been in business for a long time. We first went in 1992.

The art museum is called Musee de l'Annonciade by the port. It is interesting but very small. I also love the views from The Citadel.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

The museum is indeed on the small side, just large enough to be interesting but easy on the feet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

I have been to St Tropez more than 10 times over the last 45 years. My main reason is the Musee de l'Annonciade; full of the most magnificent paintings, etc. by the post-Impressionist masters. Every time I drive there from where I stay in Cagnes-sur-Mer or Nice, with the absolutely dreadful stand-still traffic, I say that it will be the last time, but those paintings just call me back. I spent 2 weeks near there several years ago, so I could visit the musee every few days. The lovely harbour and the little back-street restaurants, plus good shopping makes it a "must see".

Edited: 6:40 am, April 28, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Cagnes-sur-Mer
Cagnes-sur-Mer
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St Tropez worth the trip?

I will put La Verdoyante on my list of things to do based on the advice of our food experts.....

However I query whether it (or any restaurant) is worth driving 100km (?) home from in the middle of the night. Or is it really one of the 100 things to do before you die?

Ed

Mentioned in this post
La Verdoyante
La Verdoyante
375 Reviews
Gassin, France