We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging dollars for euros

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging dollars for euros

I would prefer not to exchange dollars for euros before leaving the US because of the terrible exchange rate. When we arrive at the Nice airport, however, we'll need euros to take the bus to our hotel. In my experience the exchange rate and fees at the currency booths at airports are exorbitant. Are there ATMs at the airport and how favorable (or not) are exchange rates?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

I haven't been in the Nice airport in a dog's age, but every airport in France has ATMs, and using your debit card is the best and cheapest way to get cash. Make sure you are banking with an institution that doesn't charge you anything more than 1% transaction fee and no fee for overseas withdrawals. Assuming your financial institution meets those criteria, call them ahead of time to let them know you'll be abroad and making transactions.

Edited: 9:11 pm, April 04, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

French banks do not charge for ATM withdrawals, nor do they set the exchange rate to dollars. The international card network will charge a 1% conversion fee, and your bank may impose additional fees.

This is much better than exchanging cash, for which there is usually an effective fee of around 5%.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

There are indeed ATMs at both Nice airport terminals. There are also Change machines which convert large notes into coins etc. The bus ticket office will also take credit and debit cards.

Ed

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

Just the information I needed...thanks.!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

We use only atms and we live here on foreign income. Atms are the cheapest method just as others here said.

If you're changing flights in another European city en route to Nice, you may want to bring a few euro with you from home for coffee or food in that first airport especially if you don't already know your way around it and your onward flight to Nice will depart shortly.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

Or just use an ATM at the connecting airport.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

We will be changing planes in Amsterdam. Sydneynick mentioned that French banks do not charge for ATM withdrawals. Do you know if banks in the Netherlands (at the Amsterdam airport) charge ATM fees?

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

As far as I know its your Card company who might charge you heavily, no matter where the ATM was located. Check your contract.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

I've checked with the companies whose cards I would use at foreign ATMS - one charges no fees, the other's fees are minimal.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging dollars for euros

The only time I have run across an ATM in Europe that charged a withdrawal fee, was at a non-bank owned ATM in Barcelona. The ATM clearly disclosed the fee and I had the chance to cancel my transaction without continuing.