We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Day Trips

South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Day Trips

I am looking for day trips to towns near Nice that also have museums nearby. I have been to St.Paul-Foundation Maeght, Antibes-Picasso Museum, Menton-Cocteau Museum, Biot-Leger Museum, Haut Cage-Renoir House. What are other possibilities?

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Day Trips

Bonjour, Neil...,

Have you been to the Matisse and Chagall museums in Nice?

What about the Chapelle du Rosaire AKA the Matisse Chapel in Vence?

I am completely envious; now I want to go back to Nice just to make day trips to art museums.

MrsJAS

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Day Trips

Any museum will do, no matter which subject? Then I missed the "Musée océanographique de Monaco" in your list.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Day Trips

Are you interested in museums other than art museums?

Have you been to the Renoir museum since it reopened at Les Collettes, cagnes sur mer or the new cocteau museum in menton ?

Picasso vallauris

Chateau de la napoule http://www.chateau-lanapoule.com/

Musée-Volti at the Citadelle plus cocteau chapel in Villefranche

Peynet at Antibes

Musee Bonnard at le Cannet

musee d'art classique mougins

http://www.mouginsmusee.com/

Villa Kerylos in beaulieu - which is an ancient greek house furnished with a lot of reproductions of ancient greek and roman stuff seen through an art nouveau/arts and crafts movement lens- outstanding IMO

In Nice ,museums - there are various art museums= mamac, chagall, matisse, oriental art , naive art , beaux arts

Also a viist to the Palais des Rois sardes [book at centre de patrimoine]

Edited: 2:24 pm, February 13, 2014
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Day Trips

That should have read, ancient greek style house

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Day Trips

Here's an unusual one - the Musee des Merveilles museum at Tende featuring the mysterious rock carvings from the Valley near Mount Bego. A spectacular train ride from Nice and right beside the station.

Ed

South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Day Trips

Many thanks for these interesting suggestions. I have been to the Matisse Chapel in Vence, and in Nice the

Mamac, Chagall (several times), and Matisse, and Beaux Arts. A few questions:

Are the guided tours at the Palais des Rois bardes in French only?

Is there much open in Tende during December where we can go for a lunch?

Is the Renoir museum in Les Colettes the same as the Renoir house, to which I have been?

Merci

I

Edited: 3:53 pm, February 16, 2014
Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Day Trips

I would not drive all the way up to Tende in December just for the museum. In bad weather - that can mean snow, up there - driving will become tricky. Rental cars are usually not equipped with snow-tires. Open restaurants? Maybe a bar for the locals...

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Day Trips

I think the language of the guided tours will depedn on how many people have booked . you can ask at the centre de partrimoine when you book. The guides have to have more than french so they will be able to give a basic overview at minimum.

The Renoir museum at le Colettes is Renoir's house, however if you visited before late ast summer when it reoprend after extensive refurbishment , it is very different. There is more art on dispplay, more of the rooms and furniture

Tende is more year round than other places in the valley and of course, they have a winter season for skiing /snow shoeing etc and lalthough some places close in winter , locals need to eat lunch too. I would suggest going by train, if going to Tende and not go on a sunday , monday or ideally not during schoool holidays to maximise open places

i always take snacks with me anyway, just in case

9. Re: Museum Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 19, 2015