We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

NY
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

I would like to plan a trip to France to celebrate in mid March. Do you recommend this as a good choice if I love ancient history, warm weather, beautiful views of the sea, snorkeling, romance, dining and dancing? Oh, and did I mention wine and cheese? I dislike anything pretentious, but I do love quiet luxury ;)

I am thinking to stay in the Nice, Cannes, Monaco areas, and especially like the sound of Eze. I would appreciate any suggestions for regions, hotels, etc. Thanks in advance!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

You can expect the temperatures to be in the low to mid-fifties in March. It would be pretty cold for snorkelling.

Eze is a pretty spot to visit during the day, but at night in March it will be extremely quiet.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

On the coast in March, it is often warm in the afternoons - enough not to need a sweater - but I would characterise the weather more as sunny and bracing than 'warm'. As Datthecoast says, snorkelling won't really be on the cards...

For ancient history, we have the Trophee des Alpes in La Turbie, wonderful views from there, as well as some beautiful hilltop villages such as Eze. Although a lot of the shops and restaurants will be closed, it really is a good time to see Eze and places like St Paul, because there are no crowds.

You don't say what kind of dancing you like; there are plenty of clubs in this part of the world. Monaco has the Buddha Bar, Black Legends, and Jimmy'z d'Hiver and doubtless Nice and Cannes also have plenty to offer.

Also in Monaco we have the international salsa festival in March, more information at www.salsamonaco.com, the programme of events includes shows and participatory events.

I would recommend you pick one of the larger towns you have named as a base for your stay, simply because you will have more choices in the off-season, and from there, visit some of the beautiful villages in the hills and along the coast.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Actually I did swim occassionally in sunny March in the sea but you have to stand a water temperature of 60°F. Cold, windy and wet is more likely.

Eze is one single tourist trap, I would consider Antibes or Nice or Villefranche.

The season usually starts with Easter and in 2014 thats end of April so it might also be a little "quiet", some hotels will still be closed. All in all I do not think that you'll get what you expect. But thats true for all of the civilised mediterranean in that period. If you could move your birthday to early August you would get all of what you wanted.

Edited: 5:52 am, November 10, 2013
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

It varies every year of course. There were several children splashing around quite happily in the sea at Cannes last March, but water temperatures would be rather too cool for my liking. However if you snorkel in a wet suit.;)

If you are lucky with the weather, daytime temperatures in March can certainly be warm enough to sunbathe.

If you decide to visit at this time of year, I support the suggestion above to stick to one of the larger towns which will be open and lively at night to accommodate your liking for dancing and dining; consider perhaps a visit to Eze village,for lunch on your birthday

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Moth,

I've been to the Buddha Bar only once at Happy Hour. A great place to chill. But where is its dance floor and at which hours? Which dance style(s) do people dance there? My husband and I are regular swing, hustle and Argentine Tango dancers.

I love the music the DJ plays there. Much of it is danceable using one dance style or another. But the worst moment is when he plays a 'tango nuevo' piece and we have to stay sitting. We didn't know when we moved to Nice over a year ago that the nicois dance salsa, the one partnered social dance style that we don't know!

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Hi Sockhopper, I have generally been there fairly early in the evening and now have to confess I always assumed I was there too early for the dancing to start. I have always thought there must be dancing because, call me old-fashioned, I didn't think any place would have DJs guesting if there wasn't. Of course I could be terribly wrong!

The salsa festival held every year always includes some beginners' classes, if you are interested. And there is a similar tango event each year. Have you tried the milongas on Saturday nights in high summer by the Moulin a Vent (by the beach)? They've been going for two years now and I hope they'll continue.

NY
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Thank you all for your helpful insight. I think March will be a bit too cold, so I'll put travel to this part of France off until I can come in the summertime. Cheers! :)

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Moth, thank you.

Where is "Moulin a Vent" where the summer milongas are held located? Is this indoors on a dance floor? Have you seen it?

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

Sockhopper, I have to apologise again, because I have no idea what I was thinking of when I wrote Moulin a Vent, should have been La Rose des Vents, which is the first restaurant you come to as you enter the beach area at Larvotto from the Monte Carlo (eastern) side, second if you have walked along the coastal path (same direction). Sorry about that.

The restaurant is named for the huge and rather lovely and informative artwork that is sunken into the wide pavement there, showing all the directions of the compass and the names, in Monegasque (or Provençal, too similar for me to tell) of all the winds that blow from those directions. The milongas take place right there in the open air and yes I have seen and attended this year and last.

10. Re: Where to Celebrate My 50th Birthday in Mid March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 13, 2014