We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Nice

Staying at the airport for a conference soon. I have one spare free day, so where to go, what to see, do, and where to eat?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Nice

What are your interests and what do you like to eat?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Nice

You can visit most of central Nice in a day. An older thread with a very helpful link provided by NiceLife:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187234-i138-k3743…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Nice

Consider starting your day with a Nice Greeter:

http://en.nicetourisme.com/nice-greeters

nice-greeters.com/actualites/lancement-du-pr…

"Greeters" are volunteers who offer free "theme focused" tours, and the service operates in connection with and linked through the Nice Tourism office. On the booking form, you enter what your interests might be and a "Greeter" responds. This link might give you an idea of what you might expect in a guide:

http://www.nice-greeters.com/nos-greeters

This volunteer program started in NYC, and I had read about it from a traveler who had tried it there and again, in Nice. I wanted to learn more about it, so for my trip that ended last week, I put in a request.

I spent a lovely two hours with Gaeten, and within the context of Nice's history, he pieced together the sites and neighborhoods I had visited on other trips and took me to some that I had been missing. As we walked along, Gaeten also pointed out some of Nice's best known and his own favorite restaurants and cocktail/wine spots. It was a truly lovely experience. My tour ended at a bus stop for the Matisse and Chagall Museums, and as I walked between the two, I had a greater appreciation for what I was passing through. At the end of my day, I went back to retrace some of our steps and enjoyed them at more leisurely pace.

This is a service that I heartily recommend to travelers. I'll be writing a review once I get settled in from our trip, but I saw your post and thought "Nice Greeters" might work for you.

Edited: 2:21 pm, October 31, 2013
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Nice

Hey Troggs, what a greet idea! Thanks, I will book up for nxt Saturday!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Nice

The way this worked for me was 1) I submitted a request, 2) the organization sent the request to the greeters, 3) my greeter responded to the organization, 4) the organization shared the resondee's' email with me; and 5) my guide and I arranged a place and time for the tour. This can take a few days, so it's not something you are likely to arrange without some lead time. I'm glad you found this appealing, but for next weekend,I would get on it ASAP.

I hope this goes as well for you as it did for me!

ottawa, ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Nice

This is such a great idea! Three of us are going to Nice in June. Should you tip the greeter, take him/her to lunch?

Nice
Level Contributor
17 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Nice

Pierrette, the "service" is absolutely free, that is you owe nothing.

Then of course is up to you to: in Italy (for instance) we are used to have a coffee with everyone we've been talking to for hours.

On the other hand, it is not a professional service, the greeters do it volountarily so you shouldn't ask for or expect omniscience or mandatory things.

Imagine yourself showing a place you love to a tourist, a total stranger.

ottawa, ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Nice

Thank you. I will definitely look into it.

9. Re: One Day in Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 10, 2015