We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

We were allocated Firefly when booking through Holiday Autos. The broker offers no indication which company will provide the car before paying - in future, I would carefully review the rental conditions (this is possible before booking) as generally the better companies operate a full/full policy. As it turned out, Firefly are a budget arm of Hertz. The vehicle we received was a Opel Meriva with 35,000km on the clock. We were made aware on receipt of the car that we would be charged for a tank of fuel (the rate was surprisingly comparable to most filling stations) and that there is a possible cleaning charge of EUR15. We returned the car as clean as possible without a full interior/exterior wash, and were still charged the cleaning fee. I had to drop the car off out-of-hours so was not possible to get the car seen by a representative. Firefly have no telephone customer services, and there has been no response to an e-mail I sent them a week ago. The local offices refer all problems to Firefly customer services, and almost acknowledged the issue by advising we may have to end up contacting Hertz customer services. Overall I would avoid Firefly, or at least price in sneaky charges.

75 replies to this topic
Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Firefly Car Rental

By carreful with firefly !! I rented a car and paid 70€ by internet, "nothing left to pay" for 2 days. When I came to take the car, they applied me "options" because it was in an airport, and the price grew a lot (x 3 !!!!, that's to say more than 200€). They tried to impose me the insurance, and I refused, so they decided not to release me the car. I tried to get a refund, but they refused again, of course ! I lost 70€ for 2 days. They are not honnest. Be carreful, use other companies !!

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I recently had an experience with Firefly @ Murcia airport(MJV) where I was charged 240% more than the counter charge WITH NO CONSULTATION:

1. Credit Card Fee

2. CDW Insurance(which I had already paid to the booking company)

3. TW Insurance(which I had already paid to the booking company)

4. Fast Retun Fee.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NB THIS LAST CHARGE IS A NEW ANIMAL ON THE BLOCK..RECENTLY INTRODUCED BY THE CAR HIRE COMPANIES. They restrict you from returning the car full, they refill the car charging exorbitant rates, then to add insult to injury they charge you this Fast Retun Fee for overcharging you.

I have been hiring cars in Spain for years regularly 3/4 times a year BUT this year the car companies,as one, changed their policies together....this could be an infringement of EU Competition legislation....and the Fast Return Fee was born. GOLDCAR, who were good to deal with , hit me with this additional charge recently. For using no more than 10 euros of fuel, the indicator/fuel gauge / did not move I was charged 3 times that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BE VERY CAREFUL. R.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Does anyone ever get to speak to Firefly ???

Neither them or Hertz will talk to you??

Gone on for months and no replies

COME ON HERTZ GIVE US SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Some sort of scam going on between Holidayautos and Firefly at Barcelona airport. Rented a car for 2 days with the added zero excess insurance to be supplied by Firefly. When I picked up the car told they needed my credit car details to cover fuel but if car was returned full this would be credited back to my account. In fact they added several extras without explaining including another zero excess policy for 7 days (even though rental was for 2). . . what happened to explaining/initialling changes on car rental agreements?

Holidayautos unwilling to resolve, told me to speak to credit card company instead. . . not an example of good customer service, AVOID!!!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Raise dispute with credit card company. Amount will be credited back while they investigate (if they bother).

You'll get no change from Firefly/Hertz.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Most of this interesting post does not seem to be specifically relevant to the French Riviera. However the content must surely give our visitors, who have found that public transport is good and cheap along the Cote d'Azur, a touch of schadenfreude. They are, no doubt, thanking their lucky stars they have avoided the stress of having to park a tonne of metal, while all the time the delighted car hire scammers are running up charges on their credit card.

Ed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Firefly Car Rental

A perfectly fine rental except for my son's iPad being left in the car and 20 minutes later when we returned to get it, complete denial by the cleaning team (who were working on the car at that time) that they had seen it. We were going to miss our flight so could not pursue it further but this exchange has left a very bad taste :(

tunbridge wells uk
Level Contributor
1 post
118 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Firefly Car Rental

We booked a car on a special offer from Hertz many months in advance via the agent Cardelmar and to be supplied at Bordeaux airport for 5 days in June. It turned out that the offer was with their subsidiary Firefly. There were no problems until after we returned home when Firefly took £28.61 from our credit card. Cardelmar have tried to get an explanation from Firefly but they get no response. The car was returned with a full tank and was clean apart from some sand on the floor due to the Firefly parking lot being in puddles and sand at the furthest end of the parking area. Reading your earlier postings the charge was probably due to cleaning which is a preposterous way of pushing up the hiring charge. Needless to say we will NEVER use Firefly again!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Raise a disputed transaction with your credit card company. They usually reimburse whilst they investigate. .

hertford, England
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Having just returned from Nice where we , for the second time,used Firefly for car rental we were again appalled at the standard of the service, car and general experience. We will never use them again, which we did say last time but thought we should give them a second chance. The car was not well cleaned when we collected it with the front windscreen dangerously covered in a film that in bright, low sun reflected so badly you couldn't see at all. There was loads of scratches, which is quite common with rental cars in the summer so not a major problem on its own. The car had over 65,000 km in the clock and had a warning light that flashed on the dashboard from time to time, but we were told not to worry about it. The windscreen washers were temperamental having to try them at least 3or 4 times before they worked, the handbrake had to be pulled right to the top of its limit to actually work. There was nobody in the car park area either to assist on picking up a car on on return to check it in so you have to go back to arrivals to take back keys etc and no method of checking the car on return - which I suppose isn't important if you hand them out in such a poor state anyway! The engine generally sounded like it was struggling and in need of a good overhaul. We make several trips a year to France so regularly hire cars (at great expense these days!) they are the only company at Nice that tell you to return the car empty so they can charge you for a full tank of fuel, which they do regardless, and also charge you for cleaning the car even if you have cleaned it to a far superior state than how we received it on pick up. I will NEVER use Firefly again and have advised any friends that come to stay with us to also avoid them at all costs. If you are paying so much for a hire car I think the least you can expect is a decent,clean, well running car with good customer service - none of these were received from Firefly.

Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted