We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice or Cannes?

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice or Cannes?

We are staying for 5 days on French Riviera coast in first days of September, than going to Naples. Where is the best place to stay- Nice or Cannes so we could go around and see small cities and Monaco? We are renting a car. By the way, what is weather like first week of September there? Thanks.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from $103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from $97.40*
$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from $131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from $97.40*
$108.20
Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice or Cannes?

The weather during September should be lovely--warm, but not hot. My own preference is for Nice rather than Cannes--the latter is basically a large resort. Nice, on the other hand, is a resort plus: museums, Roman ruins, many good restaurants and cafés, the open-air market at the Cours Saléya, and that's just to start.

What Nice lacks, however, is what Cannes has: white-sand beaches. Nice's run to pebbles, but the view along the Promenade des Anglais is breathtaking and you can rent beach mats.

From Nice you can head east to see Villefranche-sur-Mer, the peninsula of St-Jean-Cap Ferrat, the perched Eze-village, and Monaco (the last is not a favorite of mine, but others like it a lot).

West of Nice are the villages of St-Paul-de-Vence and Vence, Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Mougins, Biot, Vallauris, and Valbonne. Further up is the perfume town of Grasse.

So..with five days you can see a lot.

Early September is still high season in the area; so you'll need to get hotel reservations ASAP. Try venere.com.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice or Cannes?

Hi Alex and Lucy,

If you decide to choose an hotel in Nice, you have to avoid an hotel located at the following listed streets: www.tramway-nice.org/infos.php…

This site is providing the list of streets where they are building the new tramway. It is quite difficult to drive in these areas actually. There are plenty of nice hotels outside these areas.

You can use the following interactive map to check if your hotel is in a "battle field" street or not (with aerial view capability):

http://www.mappy.com

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice or Cannes?

Dear all,

Yor advices are precious, I feel like I am already there.

Thanks a lot!

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice or Cannes?

I second Underhill on Nice. Closer to more sites, more activities to be done, closer to Italy and many more. If you don't need to rent the car before leaving for Naples, don't rent it. You don't need a car in Nice, Even siotes like Eze-Village can be reached by bus (#82 BTW) and many more by trains (Vintimille on the Italian border, Menton, Monaco, even Cannes).

I agrre to be aware of the tramway works. Don't stay too close to Rue Jean Médecin, it was still a mess not long ago and probably will be till the end of the year.

Now it's time to make your choice for hotels, write down your preferences in facilities, range price, etc, then search TA for suggestions.

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice or Cannes?

Thanks, I am in a process of making all arrangements now. From what I hav e read so far, it looks like I should try to find a hotel closer to the see, medium priced. That is not easy, but I am trying. It also so covenient to be flexible with a rented car, despite traffic... We get used to maual shift, too.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice or Cannes?

Try the Mercure Promenade des Anglais, a medium-priced hotel just across the street from the sea and within easy walking distance of Vieux Nice and the Cours Saléya.

Skip a car while you're in Nice. You won't need it, and parking can be quite expensive; you can go to Monaco, Antibes, Cannes, and Grasse by train, St-Paul-de-Vence by train to Cagnes-sur-Mer and then bus. What you'll save on a car can be spent on a hotel.

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice or Cannes?

What about hotel L'Oasis?