We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

My sister and I are staying in Nice and would really like to see both Antibes and St. Paul de Vence. It looks like we only have one day free. Is it possible to do both in one day? If so, would you recommend taking the train to Antibes in the morning then a bus to St. Paul de Vence and then another bus back to Nice, or would it make more sense to take a bus straight to St. Paul de Vence, another bus to Antibes and then the train back to Nice?

Many thanks!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

I would be most tempted to take the 400 bus from Nice to St. Paul de Vence (it's direct) and then the 400 bus to Cagnes sur Mer where you can catch a train to Antibes. I would do it this way because St. Paul may be the biggest part of your day trip, and after you know how much time you want to spend there, you could consider some one more destination from this list:

1) Take the 400 bus beyond St. Paul to Vence and its old town, and then take the 400 from Vence (and past St. Paul) to CSM for the train to Antibes;

2) You could take the 200 bus to Cannes from antibes and then train it back to Nice at the end of your day; or

3) Visit the Foundation Maeght that is in the other direction the post office bus stop in St. Paul from the village. You'll see signs. It's up a hill, and as long as you don't have mobility issues, it's walkable.

I wouldn't expect to do all of this (!), but the Vence old town is lovely and sunset in a Cannes beach level restaurant is a pretty good thing. Cannes is about a twenty minute bus ride from Antibes, but you can also travel by train...however, the bus is my preference and it's easy. The Foundation Maeght has one of the most interesting art collections I've seen anywhere and the sculptures on the wooded grounds are fascinating.

I'm a traveler who likes to set out with a list of my options and let a day progress as it may. If this travel style suits you, you don't have to commit beyond your intended destinations (St. Paul and Antibes) until you know how things are working for you, but don't set out without a clear picture of how the pieces fit together. Come back if you are interested in the "how to's." Here is a link where you can view bus schedules by entering the number in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

(BTW, don't miss the sculpture terrace in the back of the Picasso museum in Antibes. It's one of my favorite spots in the Cote d'Azure. The statues and the view send me into tranquility!)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

You could also take the 200 bus between Cagnes sur Mer and Antibes. As a traveler, I tend to take trains because I usually find stations easier to locate than bus stops, but it looks like the 400 and 200 buses share the same stop that's close to the CSG train station: Square du 8 mai. It's marked with the SNCF logo on the Lignes d'Azur pdfs, and that makes this one quite easy. You definitely want to travel by train between Antibes or (should you decide) Cannes back to Nice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

When you say the bus is direct to St. Paul de Vence, what do you mean? I'm assuming it stops along the way? How long does it take to get there from Nice?

Thank you!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

The 400 bus travels from Nice to Vence and St. Paul is a popular travel stop along the way. There are many other stops along the way and you will see that on the Ligne d'azur link. You can take the bus from Nice, stop in St. Paul, and pick it up again to Vence, or travel directly to Vence. Timing? look at the Lignes d'Azur link and it will give you that info, but know that it is a bus and traffic delays can happen...but it's good.

Edited: 12:19 am, June 19, 2013
5. Re: Day trip to Antibes and St. Paul de Vence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 21, 2014