We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

england
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

We'll be spending a few days in the South of France in early September, arriving by air into Nice airport and picking up a car. We'd like to spend a couple of days in the Nice vicinity (but not in the city) before we go off exploring so we'd like some recs on hotels. Here are our desirable criteria:

1. Within a 30 minute drive from the airport (we're arriving quite late)

2. 4 or 5 star

3. Preferably a small town/village/rural location

4. Under 200 euros/night

GO!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

4 or 5 star hotels are not frequently found in small town/village/rural locations, and they are rarely under 200 euros per night. You'll need to adjust your requirements, especially when booking accommodations not very far in advance.

england
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

There are a few coming up on Trivago in that area for that price. I'm a little confused by the inference that you only get 4 and 5 star hotels in cities? That's just not accurate, although I do accept the density is higher in the city (as is the density of most things, by definition). I was hoping for some specific tips

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

Work your way through this list of "luxury" hotels in the Cote d'Azur. I've set the search dates for the first two weeks in September, but I don't know if that's going to hold:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?adults=2&geo=187216&searchAll=false&cat=1&inDay=01&outDay=15&inMonth=09/2013&outMonth=09/2013#02,1371497063689,cb:Aprng_3|trating_4

Starting rates are listed for some of the hotels outright, and for others, you will need to follow the links. However, you're likely to pay find rates higher in September than a "starting rate" as it's still in the tourist season, but not "peak."

All those stars and under 200 Euro also has me stumped, and as Catullus suggests, "luxury" isn't always going to translate to a star rating. For instance, the Hotel Welcome is on this list, and I would consider it very "boutique" (and it's more than you want to spend). Other than stars awarded by travelers in their reviews, the industry star rating is usually about facilities and amenities, and again, I agree with Catullus that you're not going to find many four and five star hotels in "villages." Maybe you were referring to review ratings?

Since the industry rating may not work within your budget (but I hope you can make it work!), here is a list of four and five star rating awarded by TA reviewers:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?adults=2&geo=187216&searchAll=false&cat=1&inDay=01&outDay=15&inMonth=09/2013&outMonth=09/2013#02,1371497063689,cb:Aprng_3|trating_4

Know that star rankings aren't foolproof, and read the reviews to get a balance perspective on what you might expect.

For your location, I'm thinking Villefranche, Cagnes sur Mer, Vence, Antibes, or Juan les Pins, and others may add to this list. Know that a location can mean lots of things (convenient and not so convenient), so you may want to do a Google Walking Maps search from a hotels address to say, a train station or a restaurant address. The reviews linked here will also give you some clues. Be careful, especially in Villefranche as the rise is steep from the coastline. It's good, but check the walking distance and make sure you're good with it. Also, check (and check again) cancellation policies...some hotels don't have a cancellation window and should your plans change, you may be locked into a hefty cancellation penalty.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

Those links didn't stay live (probably because of the filters), but if you copy and paste them into your browser, you should be okay.

england
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

I'm familiar with France, just not that specific locale. Hence the call for local intel on the hotels. I'm thinking maybe you assume this is my first trip. My use of the word "village" seems to have confused matters. Can I switch to "scenic"? Cagnes s-m and Vence are areas I was looking at. Within half an hour of the airport but "not urban".

I understand how star ratings and review ratings work. My question (point 2) related to hotel star rating, not review rating. I understand a 2 star rated hotel can earn a 5 star review rating etc.

I was rather hoping for specific recs. I've done an area search on Trivago and applied filters, what I am lacking is some detailed first hand intel on options.

I do appreciate your efforts, by the way. Thanks for taking the time. I'm sorry I was not clearer at the outset. Obviously if the 200 euro guide limit is going to be too limiting, it can be changed. The other parameters, I'd like to remain.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

shaun,

Why don't you name the hotels in which you are interested and ask for comment? The large, highly rated hotels I know on the eastern side of Nice are coming up at 300 - 2,000 a night in mid September. I imagine you know that French star ratings carry no implication of quality. Lots of stars and low prices tend to mean a lousy hotel. Hotels in Nice are usually better value than those nearby.

england
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

As an example, something like this?

http://www.lesaintpaul.com/en/hotel

I'm more inclined to look west of Nice as it would be a shorter hop from the airport and then on to our next stop in Vaucluse

Edited: 4:21 pm, June 17, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

St. Paul is one of my favorite places in the Cote d'Azur, but it tends to shut down at night. It's also verrrry busy during the day, so decide if that's going to work for you. I'm really thinking Villefranche, Vence (in the old town) Cagnes sur Mer or Juan les Pins. Cagnes sur Mer is towards the waterfront and Haut de Cagnes (they're really connected) is the old town. I think you'll find more restaurants towards the beach, but the old town is lovely and a place I'm going to explore more on our next trip. What I know of St. Jean-Cap Ferrat is that is going to be pricey, but maybe you'll find something.

So, to share my personal experiences: The Hotel Welcome in Villefranche is one of my favorite spots (anywhere!), but also consider the less expensive Hotel Darse that's also on the waterfront. These are not going to be "luxury," but we don't care. Sitting on a balcony with a view of Cap Ferrat and the harbor is perfection for us, and I don't notice the basic (but clean and updated) bathroom or the small(ish) room. When the doors are open, you feel like the harbor is your room. Another Villefranche hotel that I've considered is Hotel La Fiancee du Pirate. The other two are on the harbor, but this one is further up and will mean a trek to the waterfront. The views, however are supposed to be lovely. Here is a link to the Villefranche hotels:

tripadvisor.fr/Hotels-g187246-Villefranche_s…

I'm on a US based server, and the Darse is showing up as "Hotel Dock." I guess that happened in the translation. I don't know if this is how it will appear for you, but it's #4 on the list. There have apparently been recent upgrades to this hotel and it's been recommended by some other forum contributors. The Welcome is the one we've frequented, but I'd certainly consider the others. If it were me, I'd trade some stars for a wonderful location, but you know what's going to work for you.

BTW, you may not be able to get bookings online for a few nights in a boutique hotel, but I get them when I call the hotels directly. I think the "Pirate" hotel has a restrictive cancellation policy, and if it does, make sure you are comfortable with the terms. I think the others have a seven day cancellation window, but check.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

What is the top end of your budget? Le St-Paul is on the expensive side, and there are any number of good hotels in the same price range--the Hôtel de Mougins for example.

england
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendation, near to (but not on) Nice Airport

Thanks for the info. I suppose top end would be 250 euros. I could pay more but I think there are plenty of options around 200. The one I linked to a couple of posts back is doing a deal 2 nights for 330 for instance.

Our situation is that we're off to Vaucluse/Luberon for a few days but, as we're arriving into Nice about 2130, we're staying a couple of nights there first. One night because we have to, the second to give us a day in Nice. In terms of what we want, we'd like our base to be out of the way, meaning "quiet on an evening" is just fine. I'm leaning towards a drive from Nice north or west from the airport of no more than 30 minutes to the hotel. We'll have a car, but to explore Nice I'd probably be looking to park the car at a convenient train station on the outskirts and commute in and out by train, just to avoid the city traffic and parking. Short train hops in France tend to be cheap. Possibly cheaper than parking.

We're not necessarily after "boutique" or "luxury" but we do want a nice room and a nice view. Hope this helps fill in the blanks. Cheers.