We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

Redding
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

We are staying at the Palais de la Méditerranée in mid-June for a few nights. I was wondering what it would be like to ride bikes to Villefranche-sur-Mer? The hotel has bikes for guests use. Are the roads safe for riding?

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from $104.00*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from $98.10*
$109.10
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from $98.10*
$109.10
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from $132.90*
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

I cycle regularly in both the south of France and SE England and French motorists are much more considerate than those in the UK, so although I gave up cycling on busy UK roads many years ago I am happy to do so in France. You will see many, many cyclists between Nice and Villefranche but climbing up out of Nice on the Basse Corniche (the main cost road) is not much fun due to heavy traffic. There is a cycle lane as far as the Port. I advise you to then turn right beside the port off the main road and keep as close to the sea as possible. You need to climb a very steep hill to get back to the main road at Cap de Nice. If you are nervous about continuing on the main road you could ride illegally on the little used footpath, as most tourists seem to do. After another few minutes the footpath becomes much wider and includes a cycle path almost all the way to Villefranche. Many locals take their bikes to Cap Ferrat where there are wonderful views and almost no traffic.

London /Nice
Level Contributor
781 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

as Bob says you can probably use the footpath without bothering anyone

I walked it a few weeks ago and passed a couple of people but not at all busy with walkers

Redding
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

Thank you for your replies to my question. My safety concern is because we have traveled to St. Barts FWI several times and riding a bicycle on a road there would be very risky indeed!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

St Barths and Nice / Villefranche are completely different. I have no idea why you would compare them. You would take your life in your hands cycling in St Barths. The Cote d'Azur has an infrastructure that supports cycling and walking.

Redding
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

My only reason to compare them is they are both resort areas with busy traffic. Having never been to Nice I don't know if there is adequate room for bicycles to share the road. This is not the case in St. Barth. I understand that they are very different.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

NIce is a city of 300,000 plus citizens, with all of the infrastructure that a city of that size warrants. Including trains, buses and trams and an 8 lane autoroute that goes through it. And there are bike lanes everwhere. Traffic can be very busy, particularly in the summer.

St Barths has a population of 7,000 ( less than 5% of the size of Nice) and the roads are barely wide enough for 2 Mini Mokes to pass. There is essentially no infrastructure and in all of the times I have been to St Barths, I haven't seen anything remotely like busy traffic.

Edited: 7:44 pm, May 25, 2013
Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

Hello. Is taking a taxi the best way o get o villefranche from nice airport ? What would the approximate fare be for a family of 5 ?

Also flying out on a early light from Nice , ( dep 6.30). Is there a taxi company which is reliable to book the transfer from villefranche to nice airport ?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

Ingrid.....start a new thread with your question.

9. Re: Nice to Villefranche-sur-Mer on a bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 28, 2014