We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

Hi,

I'm flying to Nice on 21st July (arrive 3pm) and train out on the 23rd (12pm).

My hotel in Nice (Hotel Le Petite Trianon) and I personally like walks, sight seeing, shopping and would love to relax on the beach for a couple of hours (this is my relax time after two weeks on intensive touring).

So I was wondering if I should do a half day trip to Cannes or should I explore Nice in depth?

Any advice would be lovely.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

You only have 1 full day in Nice, it would be more relaxing to stay in Nice although the beaches in Nice are stoney/pebbley.

It is likely to be hot and despite the rail station in Cannes being right in the middle of town, very close to the beach and shops, travelling to Cannes will take around 2 hours by the time you factor in getting to the railway station and back in Nice.

If you want a change of scene from the city of Nice, perhaps consider a half day trip to Villefranche or Beaulieu sur Mer which are closer to Nice and have gritty/sandy beaches instead- nice walks too but no shopping. You can get there by bus or train from Nice

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

In my opinion, Nice is much, much nicer than Cannes, which I didn't particularly like at all.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

There is much, much more to see / do in Nice than in Cannes. If you want to do a short trip....go to Villefranche.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

Another place well worth a visit is Eze village. Almost anywhere is more interesting than Cannes.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

A 14 euro train ticket -the one day go-anywhere Pass Isabelle will bring you anywhere on the Cote d,Azur -Cannes 40 mins one way, Monaco 20 mins the other -get off where you feel like it and get back on the train if you don't. As recommended you will probably spend most time in Villefranche.

Ed

Scottish Borders...
Level Contributor
89 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

We would have to agree with the above -

In my opinion, Nice is much, much nicer than Cannes, which I didn't particularly like at all.

Nice is best. Eze village is worth a look though. Bus is quite easy.

Edited: 6:06 pm, May 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

Thank you for all your wonderful ideas, I think Villefranche suits my needs and it looks wonderful. Though the perfume factory(?)in Eze sounds really interesting.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

I like Cannes, and if it's on your "wish list," go there. If it's not, let it go I agree that it could be too much for the time your have.

I'm with datthecoast in suggesting Villefranche, and I'm glad you're considering it. Nice is city, and you might enjoy the contrast to VF's more "village-y" setting. You could actually visit Eze (bus 82 from Nice) and stop in Villefranche on your way back. To do this, take the 83 bus from Eze Village to the Eze train station and the train to Villefranche. The 82 bus from Nice has a stop in VF, but it isn't convenient to the harbor, which is where you want to go. it doesn't work. The 83 bus stops right outside the Eze train station and from the VF train station, walk down the stairs to the beach level. Facing the water, walk to your right towards the harbor, and chill there for a lovely end to your day.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

Taking a train from eze bord de mer to Villefranche after taking the 83 bus would be a complete waste of time and money.

The bus 83 terminates in Beaulieu - either walk to Villefranche from there in 20 /30mins. or use the same bus ticket used on the 83 to connect to bus 100

Also it looks like there will be no individual Pass isabelle this year but various department wide Zou!passes for 15 euros

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187208-i136-k65…

Edited: 7:25 am, May 23, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Cannes or stay in Nice?

I suggested the train from VF to Eze in case the walk to the Beaulieu bus stop doesn't work for the traveler. It's the route the cruise ships seem to send their passengers on, and that's probably another reason why Selkie's favor of the Beaulieu bus stop is best. It's my favorite as well. From my sad experience, the Villefranche>Eze train route is frequented by pickpockets because they know tourists (especially cruise travelers) use this way to get to Eze and Monte Carlo. As passengers also use the VF station for travel to Nice, it can be crowded and cluttered, and that's when the pickpockets do their best work. The bus from Beaulieu is a different story. The walk is lovely and the bus stop is unhurried...unless we keep talking about and the cruise passengers start following that route! ;-)