We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to explore Nice

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to explore Nice

We will be traveling to Nice and the surrounding areas in mid-Sept. for 7 days. Nice will be our home base so we will be there most evenings but I'm having a hard time figuring out how many days to allow for exploring the city itself. I'd appreciate any thoughts... Thank you!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to explore Nice

do you wnat to do museums and galleries and churches ?, or not

what interests you?

where are you planning to visit outside Nice?.

mode of transport?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to explore Nice

Our tentative itinerary is..

Arrive Saturday afternoon rest, then wonder around and eat a nice dinner

Sunday go to Villefranche sur Mer then walk to St. Jean Cap Ferrat and visit the Rothschild then continue to Beaulieu and eat lunch and explore

Monday go to Ilsa St. Marguerita and then Cannes

Tuesday stay in Nice and visit Old Town, Castle Hill, Chagall museum, Promenade, Observatory, Massena, Garibaldi

Wednesday ???

Thursday Eze and Monaco

Friday Ventimiglia and San Remo

I really want to go to Vence, St. Paul de Vence and Antibes but I am not sure we can fit everything into our Nice day. Maybe I can convince the rest of the group to pass on Cannes and go to Antibes instead.

We are all mid-forties my husband is all about architecture. I love anything outdoors and we both love food!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to explore Nice

No car so we are taking public transportation.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to explore Nice

sunday- i would start at beaulieu , walk to cap ferrat , eat, walk about, go to villa rothschild then back to nice

Tuesday -you can't visit the observatory or chagall or massena [or matisse ] musuems on a tuesday so you will need to move stuff

IMO you could do musee massena, chagall musuem , matisse museum , roman remains , franciscan monastery church and general cimiez architechure in one day if motivated

unscheduled day- Nice -markets , baroque chuches, russian cathedral, colline de chateau ,old town, port ,anglican church , promenade etc

swap eze and monaco to tuesday and you could fit villefranche in here as well

Edited: 7:13 pm, May 04, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to explore Nice

Skip Monaco in favor of more time elsewhere, particularly on St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat at the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and its 7 different gardens.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to explore Nice

Thank you so much Selkie. I will make your suggested changes and stay in Nice the extra day.

I may bring up an alternate itinerary to go to Isla St. Marguerita and then straight to Antibes instead of Cannes???

Catullus we are going to the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild that first Sunday. That is a must do on my list. A couple that we are traveling somewhat with are staying 2 or 3 days in Monaco so I feel like we have to go for at least a half day. We are staying in NIce the entire trip. They really enjoy gambling... me not so much but maybe that is because I never win!

Thanks Again!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to explore Nice

If you can, book a table for lunch at the Villa Ephrussi tea room; it has a terrific view.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to explore Nice

I'll do that. Thank you for your help!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to explore Nice

Hi

First of all you choose great place for a week travel. One day is enough to explore Nice city by itself. There is nothing great in Antibes that you will miss out.

First day explore the city as you wrote

2nd day, by 8:30 am be @ the train station buy tickets (round trip) for Monaco. Use same ticket for all 3 destinations

Villefranche , Eze , Monaco are all on same route.

10 minutes by train to villefranche, spend 3 hours, have lunch, and enjoy the walk.

Check out @ villefranche station, train time to Eze between 12 and 1 pm.

Get off @ Eze station, take bus # 83 to Eze village (rem), come back in same bus back to the station.

Enjoy the beautiful village, have ice cream. 3 hours.

Check out Monaco train from Eze before you leave the station, train between 4-5

Reach Monaco between 4:30- 5:30, enjoy the small city up the hill, then come down straight to montecarlo photo shots.

Take a 7 -8 train come back to nice.

Day 3' not as hectic:) by 10 be @ the train station, but (round trio)tickets to Cannes.

Since Antibes and Cannes are on same route, one ticket works just like previous day.

I'll be surprise if you spend more than 2 hours in Antibes.

In Cannes, it's sandy beach, loads of funn! Better take towels/ swim suit if plan to be @ beach. This will be surprise for you, a beautiful place.

You can end up having dinner in nice, since Cannes cab be expensive.

4th day, this should be St. Paul & vente, either take a train or preferably bus # 400 will take you there. You know the drill now:) this will be half day trip, enjoy the walk & beach on nice promenade

5th day, train to Grasse ( perfume capital)' enjoy nice later in the evening

6th day, .....I'm reading your post, you can do villefranche and Monaco day six, reason is Sunday is a holiday everything is close, it's quiet Boring,

On day 2, just do Eze, take train get off @ station, cross the road first pathway from left, there is a 2 hour walk to Eze, you have to walk up the mountain in moderate to rough terrain with breath taking views, it will be adventurous trip, but since in group check out everyone's views. You always have bus 83 option.

Friday is must for ventimiglia market, it's fun, San remo is fine. Buy round trip tickets from nice station.

Than back home:) I hope it helps:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days to explore Nice

Your itin sounds fantastic but we only have 3.5 days 4 nights in Nice 3 rd week of June,

Haven't got hotel reserved, plan to stay in Nice as hub, it seems busy, 4 stars are at rate of high 200Euro.

Is there another town that we could stay as hub, we arrive NCE airport around 230pm

Would you engligten me with a suggested itin where to go on a Sunday?

I m going with my senior dad, we are intersted to go villeFranc sur mer, Ventimiglia (how to go there?)

Cap Ferrat, Grass,

and what is in Eze could you give insight how to group them.

I might sound ignorant, Dadjust change his mind from Paris to the RIveria flying into NICE on a Thurs and leaving Monday

tks