We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
297 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

What's going everybody. I'll be staying in the Magnan section of Nice over Grand Prix Weekend in a couple of months and I'm looking to see if there are any great traditional absinthe bar(s) that you guys can suggest which are in or around the Magnan Neighborhood.

I wanted to try it when I was Paris a couple of months ago but totally forgot about it until it was too late and missed out on the opportunity to try it so I'm hoping that I can make it happen this time.

If there aren't any close to Magnan, I wouldn't be opposed to traveling a bit just for the experience.

Thanks in advance and all suggestions will be welcomed.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from $103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from $97.40*
$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from $131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from $97.40*
$108.20
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

There is an Absinthe bar in Antibes at 25, cours Massena, 06600 Antibes,

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

Not sure you'll find any "traditional" absinthe bars that aren't a disney style recreation - absinthe having been illegal in France until May 2011

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

@selkienNice, is that the only one in the area altogether?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

Its the only one i've heard of

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

Thanks again

South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

I have been to the absinthe bar in Antibes, and it was quite fun. It it almost museum like, very old fashioned, but completely operational with many choices. The effect of two absinthe drinks was not as powerful as I and my companions had expected (or hoped?).

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

I've seen absinthe in shops in London - it was never popular enough here to be made illegal - so you could visit and buy some!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

There's quite a bit about the Absinthe bar in Antibes on the web - its also a 'museum'. I confess I have never been inside and as Neilsouthbend says it does appears museum like ( but not too Disneyesque) - very sedate and the kind of place you might bring elderly parents - mind you I dont get out late myself at my age so it may be quite wild late at night. I have been told the Absinthe is only a pale reflection of the real thing as it used to be but don't know if that's true. Personally I would stick to Cotes du Rhone.

Ed

New Haven...
Level Contributor
297 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

Yeah, when I was doing my research on the area awhile back I did stumble across the place in Antibes. I was just trying to see if there was another place that was actually in Nice as opposed to making a trip to Antibes just to go to that particular bar. More than likely I won't go now, but who knows. I'll see if I can fit it in, If I can't, then maybe next time.

10. Re: Absinthe Bar in or around Magnan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 06, 2014