We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

I am planning on going to Nice in the first week of July for around 4 nights as a solo traveller. What area would you recommend that is central and accessible, safe, fairly lively and relatively inexpensive? Is early July slightly before the peak season?

Any recommendations for things to do?

The trip is mainly to practise French (intermediate/advanced level) and also for some relaxation and sunshine so not too far from the beach! I went to Nice a few years ago, and i remember Villefranche was very nice to visit - is it easy to get there by bus? Any advice would be great! Thanks :)

Nice, France
Level Contributor
992 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Nice is very busy in July. There will not be many inexpensive places available, you should try one of the Hostels,

The liveliest area is the Flower Mkt area and Old town.

Villefranche is easy by bus or train, bus 1e and train not that expensive (around 3e) it is also a nice walk, especially in the summer, takes between 60 and 90 minutes depending on fitness..

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

If you were my offspring i would want you to stay at hostel les camellias -it is central, handy for everything , easy access to trams etc

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Nice-Camélias-020173.en.htm

Nice is a very safe city with very low rates of crime - but like many places there can be pickpockets so be aware of your belongings , esp in crowds.

Apart from that you should take the usual precautions you take anywhere - don't take money out of cash machines at night, be aware of your surroundings, don;t get visibly drunk ,and if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Thank you for your replies and the advice. The walk to Villefranche sounds good, and I guess I could always take bus/train on the way back if walking back another hour seems too tiring!

Staying in a hostel also seems like a much better value idea - I'll have a look at the link - do you know which neighbourhood this is in?

Also, how much do trams cost - can you get some kind of weekly/4 day pass?

Any other suggestions for things to do?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Les camelias hostel is right by Nicetoile shopping centre. = closest tram stop is Jean medecin.

Trams and buses cost 1 euro. You can go very long distances for that oen euro - eg Monaco, menton, into the mountains etc

what do you like to do/see? any special interests?

There is a day pass- 4 euros which allows travel on the express buses to and from the airport and use the rest of the day within the extended local area.

there si also a 7 day pass for 15 euros , which probably won't be wortwhile for you-but it depends where you want to go

there are alos passe isabelle train tickets to rove around for one day for 14 euros

bus to villefranche = bus 100 or bus 81

Edited: 9:22 am, February 11, 2013
Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
39 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

I was young free and single in Nice for 3 years. Main thing is that, as previously stated, the old town is where the action is. The res tf the town can be a bit a bit sleepy in comparsion. All the students head to the Old town .

In terms of things to do, discover the Cote d'Azur , venture further into Provence (e.g. The Alpillles, Luberon), visit Italy (e.g San Remo is not far by train)- you could go to Milan otTurin also.

Then you have the "Alpes Maritimes" behind. You can go hiking.

Nice does has a low crime rate but you still need to be careful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,653 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Eddie...read the OP's post. She is in Nice for ONLY 4 nights and:

<<<<<The trip is mainly to practise French (intermediate/advanced level) and also for some relaxation and sunshine so not too far from the beach! >>>>>>>

So, she wants to go to the beach and she wants to practise her French.What is the point of suggesting that she taks a 5 hour train trip (each way) to Milan, Italy where there is no beach and no French?

Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
39 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

You could also go further afield to Corisca, Sardinia or the Blackforest.

8. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:55 pm, February 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,653 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

Eddie...the OP is 17 years old! And she is going to NIce for FOUR days.! And she states very clearly that she is going to Nice to practice her French. Why in the world would you suggest that she go to Sardinia or Germany?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice for 4 nights 1st week July as a solo traveller age 17

I would definitely want to just stay around Nice area as I'm not there for long and don't ant to spend time travelling, but thanks for suggestions.

So far plans include walking tour of nice (arranged by youth hostel) walk to Villefranche and go to beach there for day, castle hill, and wandering round old town, promenade des anglais, flower market, port etc.

Not really interrested in museums/galleries as saw quite a few of those when I came to nice before.

Would be happy to spend quite a bit of time on beaches in nice as well. Are there any nice parks to visit?

Also, when would be best time to go - middle-end of April, beginning-middle of may or beginning of July?