We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time and Distance

New Haven...
Level Contributor
277 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Time and Distance

Hello everyone. Me and my Girlfriend will be staying in Nice for 4 days for the Grand Prix of Monaco from the 24th of May until the morning of the 28th when we depart for Rome.

We are staying in an apartment on 1 Boulevard de Magnan which seems to be a couple of blocks away from the prominade.

All in all, we want to go to Cannes that Saturday, Monaco obviously that Sunday for the race and maybe Antibes on Monday before departing on Tuesday Morning.

What would be the best way to get back and forth from these places at a reasonable price which does not drain a lot of time? Bus or Train? Also, though I think we are relatively close to the Bus line, I don't think we are that close to the train station which seems to be more inland.

I'm assuming since the Film Festival and the Grand Prix are going on during the same weekend that traffic must be crazy, hence my apprehension to us the bus since I don't want to waste our limited time we have in the area stuck in gridlock wasting hours at a time away. Or, am I mistaken and traffic is not so bad during that weekend.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time and Distance

Train is easiest and quickest .

Take bus number 12 from magnan to the train station

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%2012%20(au%2003%2009%2012).pdf

and at night the N4 night bus back [if traveling after the 12 has stoped

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%20N4%20(au%2003%2009%2012).pdf

New Haven...
Level Contributor
277 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time and Distance

@selkieNice Thanks for the prompt reply.

If you don't mind me asking, how far is it from where my apartment is located to the train station? Is it a viable walking distance or do I need take the bus from my apartment to the train station.

Thanks in advance

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time and Distance

Its easily walkable if you don't have any walking issues - around 30-40 mins

bus costs 1 euro

New Haven...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time and Distance

@SelkieNice Thanks again

I do have two more questions.

1. I've attempted to read the bus schedules that you linked for me, but I'm confused on how exactly to read it. For Bus #12, I understand what time the bus leaves it's intial location (Weather it's Gard SNCF or Vittone), but I don't understand how to see exactly what time does the bus leave or arrive at Magnan which is my stop. I do see that their is a vertical grid that list numbers 20mm, 15mm & 7mm, but I have no idea what that means in regards to time.

2. In regards to the N4 Night bus, where would I need leave from in Monaco exactly to catch it to get back to our stop Magnan in Nice? Honestly, I have no idea how to read they night bus schedule.

Sorry, I'm so confused by this bus schedule it's beyond words. Totally different than bus schedules here in the States.

Finally, what time does the train stop running all together? We're planning to go out every night and be back late (assuming around 4 in the morning) and we're depending on Public Transportation to get around from one city to another. Here's a breakdown of what we're thinking our schedule will look like:

Friday Night we will stay in Nice

Saturday night, will want to party in Cannes (What's the last train from Cannes to Nice and/or what Night Bus # would we take to get from Cannes to our stop Magnan in Nice if the trains stopped running?)

Sunday night, will want to party in Monaco (What's the last train from Monaco to Nice on Sunday Night and/or what Night Bus # would we take to get from Monaco to our stop Magnan in Nice if the trains stopped running?) = I know this is bus 100 in the day (at least I think so)

Monday night, will want to party in Antibes (What's the last train from Antibes to Nice on Monday Night and/or what Night Bus # would we take to get from Antibes to our stop Magnan in Nice if the trains stopped running?)

I definitely want to be able to take the train back from Cannes since I've read the bus ride is brutal in length, but I'm concerned about being stranded in one of these cities if both the trains and the buses shut down on us.

Sorry for all of the loaded questions but I just wanted to give you as much information as possible. Again, thanks for your help. The information that you given me has been beyond invaluable.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time and Distance

I would shift the friday night party to sunday night , since you are planning to be out to the wee early hours, it will be easier to do things in Nice on a sunday from pov of returning home

find intermediate stops on line 12 here

www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/…

the N4 night bus leaves around 1.18am from the station [gare sncf]

intermediate stops here

www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/…

the trains stop earlier between cannes and Nice than they used to due to ongoing work laying another track, which takes place at night= last train from cannes varies depending on exact day but earliest train in am is 5.14 weekdays, 5.40am on weekends

Last train monaco-Nice is 23.43

earliest train in am is 5.43 weekdays 6.43 weekends

however on thursday , friday saturday nights and nights before french public holidays there are long distance night buses , the N200 between Nice airport and Cannes and the N100 between nice airport and Monaco

the last N100 leaves Monaco around 4.10am get off at stop magnan/promenade

cg06.fr/cms/…noctambus_100.pdf

the last bus from cannes leaves around 2.30am -terminating at the airport but the last bus will now continue to Place Massena on demand . You would need to walk from place massena [30mins] or take a taxi from there

cg06.fr/cms/…noctambus_200.pdf

New Haven...
Level Contributor
277 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time and Distance

So it seems public transportation is really going to have us hamstrung in the evening :-/ Outside of partying into the wee hours on either Friday or Satuarday NIght in Monanco, it seems as though we should probably hang in or around Nice at night so that we don't get stranded anywhere.

Based on all the information that you given me, going to Cannes might be out of the question all together in regards to enjoying the nightlife.

We don't get into Nice until about 3:00PM Friday afternoon and after a long international flight via NYC & Dublin, we are probably not going to be up for going too far away from our apartment on Friday night since more than likely we'll need a couple hours sleep before hitting the streets in the evening. This is why I thought hanging out in Nice made more sense on Friday Night, but with the limited amount of time and the way things seem to breakdown, going to Monanco on Friday Night looks like it might make the most sense.

This way, we can take it easy on Saturday after a long night out in Monaco the night prior and be well rested for the Grand Prix on Sunday.

Contingient on what time we get up on Saturday, I'll try to see if we can fit Cannes in, but I'll make sure we get back early enough so that we can catch the last train out. I just don't want to short change myself in Cannes to where I feel the whole thing feels rushed.

On the last Monday we're in town, we'll more than likely go to Antibes to lounge on the beach and unwind after a hectic weekend before sliding off to Rome on Tuesday Morning.

Does this sound like the best plan to you, or would you tweak something if your primary objective was to see all of these towns, party and the Grand Prix? Because with this schedule, Nightlife will be in Nice on Saturday, Sunday and Monday Night.

Thanks in advance

7. Re: Time and Distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 13, 2014