We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Nice

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Nice

Hi, we are planning to spend a holiday with our 1 year old son in Nice in Feb. We wanted to stay in Nice (as a base) and do day trips using public transport to surrounding areas. We would like to go to Menton and Monaco but would like to go to one other place, would be grateful if anyone could give us some suggestion!

Many thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Nice

Why restrict yourself to just one other place?

Eze is certainly worth a look and easily reached by local bus from Nice. Villefranch sur Mere is also an easy commute by bus or train. Go the other direction you have Cannes and a score of other little Cote d'Azure towns.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Cote Lounge
Cote Lounge
521 Reviews
Nice, France
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Nice

On this page to the right, Top Questions about Nice has the topic, "How to combine Eze village with Monaco by bus." You may also travel to Eze by train.

MrsJAS

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Nice

Eze would not be top of my list with a one year old unless you were using a baby carrier-it is very steep and the slippy polished cobbles [even when dry] and hundreds of uneven steps are not ideal for pushchair or wheelchairs

You can get to Eze bord de mer aka Eze sur mer by train but it is not particularly exciting. To get to Eze village from the Eze sur mer train station you would need to take a bus or walk up Nietzsche's very steep , stony path taking about an hour [ I would not do this with a one year old in a baby carrier unless you are experienced walkers ]

When in Feb are you coming over?

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Nice

Eze is wonderful and would be on my list of places to visit, but I agree with Selkie about it not being the best when traveling with a one year old. Besides the steep climb, the garden at the top is the main attraction and IMO, it would be dangerous with a toddler. We don't get over being a protective parent, and on our last trip, I found myself watching out for my 30 year old on the rugged steps...actually, I think she now watches out for me...

With a toddler, I'm thinking of areas that are mostly pedestrian and streets that are easy to navigate with a stroller. I would do Cannes because of the park that is bordered with outdoor cafes and has a merry go round. I'm not sure that the restaurants on the beach level are open in February, but if they are, this is another part of Cannes where a toddler can move around without the worry of traffic. If the weather is good, you might want to consider a boat trip to Iles des Lerins off the coast of Cannes:

trans-cote-azur.com/cannes-ile-sainte-margue…

Antibes' Destination Expert, W.B.Loud-Glade (Ed), has mentioned play and other areas in Antibes that his grandchildren enjoy, so hopefully you will hear from him. The old town in Antibes is mostly pedestrian and a restaurant in the Place Nationale is a place I would feel comfortable with a one year old's "exploration." Cannes is mostly flat, and you will only be dealing with a moderate incline in Antibes.

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Nice

Selkie is right...Eze would be very difiicult to navigate with a one year old even in summer conditions. Also, Eze is essentially shuttered in February....beautiful views if you have a good day, but hardly anything is open...

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Nice

A contrary view. On one of our Swiss holidays I carried my three year old daughter to the top of the Schilthorn, which is seven times the height of Eze. IMO any healthy person used to walking would have absolutely no difficulty in taking a child the 250 mtrs or so from the bus stop to the garden. I have 94 year old relative who does much tougher walks than that!

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Nice

I agree with troggs about the potential danger of the exotic garden in Eze with a toddler - it would not make for a relaxing visit for me. I don't like seeing other folks kids teetering on the void

However I have seen people dangle their kids into dangerous animal/s cages so I guess everyone has different views of safety and what makes a relaxing visit with a toddler.

The issue with climbing up to Eze is that it is steep , bumpy and extremely slippy even when the cobbles are dry and it is treacherous when wet.

Some very lucky 94 year olds might have no problems but plenty of younger people do have issues with the steepness and slipperiness

It is hard going with a pushchair or wheelchair because it is uneven and steep

People with kids in pushchairs often end up carrying the child and pushing the pushchair empty or carrying it.

Eze village is a great place to visit- just not ideal for everyone

Edited: 12:08 pm, December 28, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Nice

Thank you everyone for their great advice! We will definitely have a look a Cannes or Antibes as Troggs suggested, we have read some great review on Eze but think we will go to Eze when our little one get a bit older as suggested... I will see how our little one in two year time and we might try Schilthorn :)

Thank you everyone again for your kind suggestions! My wife and I are certainly looking forward to our first holiday with our boy.... now we just need to check out where to eat....

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in Nice

Glad we could help... Are you looking for a hotel? A vacation rental might be a good option with the youngster...

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in Nice

Thank you datthecoast, we have booked our hotel already but would look into 'vacation rental' next time!

Thanks! :)