We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastest Train Paris to Provence

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fastest Train Paris to Provence

We are traveling from Paris to Avignon or Orange by train in June. Which is the fastest train and how do we purchase tickets ahead of time? What price range should I expect? Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastest Train Paris to Provence

All TGV trains to Avignon and Orange take about the same time to make the journey - a bit less than three hours to Avignon.

You can research timetables and purchase tickets at

www.voyages-sncf.com

Before you try to buy your tickets on the site check this excellent post from MorganB

http://tinyurl.com/eprkk

It will help immensely with the process which can be a bit counter-intuitive. One tip - if asked for your country of origin, or where tickets will be picked up or whatever ALWAYS check FRANCE not the US.

The SNCF site will give you an idea of the range of fares currently available in first and second class. The lowest advance purchase non-refundable discount tickets on this route are usually 25€ but that fare may no longer be available for your travel date - if it ever was. Non-discounted fares dion't vary much from one train to the next - generally in the 85€ to 90€ range one way in second class from Paris to Avignon, if memory serves.

Lastly, the Avignon TGV station is on the outskirts of Avignon but there is a shuttle for the short trip to the center of the city. There are not many TGVs that go directly to the Avignon central station.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastest Train Paris to Provence

Full fare from Paris to Avignon TGV is around 130 for a first class seat, although I have never had to pay that. Just depends how far in advance you book. SNCF website allows 2 months in advance, so if you book now, you should get a decent price.

I made the mistake of booking about a month before traveling on Easter weekend (2006). Went from Avignon to Paris and had to pay 120 for my ticket !! I was not happy, but it was my own fault for not booking earlier.