We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avignon/provence from Nice in May

mumbai
Level Contributor
189 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
avignon/provence from Nice in May

Will be in Nice from the 18th to the 23rd May 2013. Was wondering if making a day trip in the third week of may will be worth it since we wanted to catch the lavendar bloom especially.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

The best place for lavander and reacheable in a day trip by train from Nice is Digne les Bains. If you google 'Digne Lavander Festival' you should get a lot of data. Unfortunately May is too early .

Avignon is worth seeing but as you will spend 3 hours travelling each way from Nice by train or car IMO a day is not long enough.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

You are too early fro lavender but it is possible to do a day trip to Avignon from Nice by train

.I did Avignon and Arles recently as day trip just to see if it could be done -its quite easy but tiring. I just bought bits and pieces of things to snack on the train as there was no time to linger over lunch for what i had planned to do but if i had opted to go to one place rather than 2 , lunch would have been a possibility

.I started writing a mini trip report, i will see if i can dig it up and finish it

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
mumbai
Level Contributor
189 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

Thank you so much. I have read your reviews about the other day trips and am planning to do 1st day Nice local sight seeing, 2nd day eze ville franche and cap ferrat with a walk to beaulieu, 3rd day Antibes and cannes with ventimille market ( will pick a friday for that), 4th day St paul de vence,

The 5th day I wanted to make a trip to gorges du verdon as a day trip. Any views on it and how do I travel there?

My basic interest is scenic views and routes, anything very pretty that I am not covering in my trip to Nice?

Thanks once again.

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

doctor....will you have a car or will you be looking for some kind of tour? A rental vehicle is certainly best...

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

You can take a tour to the Gorges du verdon but if you are planning a long trip to Avignon anyway, i would pick either taking the train des merveilles route into the mountains to tende or sospel, la brigue ro somehwere similar along the way or take the train des pignes route to Entrevaux for scenery and ease of access,.

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
mumbai
Level Contributor
189 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

Would mostly not go To Avignon because of The season. But would like To Do gorges du verdon as Day trip. No car. Any train going From nice? Or a bus tour (though The bus tour maybe unaffordable) Or May be train And then local bus? Train Des pignes I would Do, but would also like The gorges. Any suggestions?

Edited: 12:04 am, December 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

The cheapest trip is with Beltrame in st raphael on thursdays in May - 30 euros [plus 22.80 for train fare to and from Nice]

there are a few trips direct from Nice 90-125 euros last time i checked

and occasional cheaper trips around 60 euros -[sometimes including a basic lunch] on random dates by voyages-christine, pullman-cars and santazur however these dates won't be released till well after the new year

mumbai
Level Contributor
189 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

Thanks a ton

9. Re: avignon/provence from Nice in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, December 17, 2013